Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G23 with reduced loads & lighter springs

ano

Been searching around, not exactly normal use, but we got a class for "pocket guns" and one of the class dictates a 10mm bullet... and G23 is the largest gun that will fit the box, so I bought one.

Class does not dictate a minimum powerfactor, so how low can I go on stock springs with 180gr? and what springs are available to go lower? It's for competition use, so of course it needs to cycle every time. I usually buy my springs from wolff, but seems they dont do gen4 glocks?

Been searching around, not exactly normal use, but we got a class for "pocket guns" and one of the class dictates a 10mm bullet... and G23 is the largest gun that will fit the box, so I bought one.

Class does not dictate a minimum powerfactor, so how low can I go on stock springs with 180gr? and what springs are available to go lower? It's for competition use, so of course it needs to cycle every time. I usually buy my springs from wolff, but seems they dont do gen4 glocks?

I'm using Wolff springs and a Wolff guide rod in a Gen4 G20, with a Zev adapter button. I have used their 10# springs experimenting with light loads, but that light of a spring it won't pass the vertical test in my G20 even with a 4# striker spring. The G20 has a very heavy slide, I would think you'd be able to go lighter with a G23.

What do you mean by "vertical test"? guess I need to google, I havent had any glocks in years, mostly shooting 1911/2011s.

edit, I searched, do you mean when you hold the gun upright, and pull slide back, releaseing slowly, checking it will go into battery?

Edited by ano

What do you mean by "vertical test"? guess I need to google, I havent had any glocks in years, mostly shooting 1911/2011s.

edit, I searched, do you mean when you hold the gun upright, and pull slide back, releaseing slowly, checking it will go into battery?

That would be the one...

OP, why do you think the OEM recoil spring won't work just fine? Also what is a "pocket gun" class and why would there be a minimum bullet diameter of 10mm? Pocket guns would normally go do to 9x17mm. Even IDPA BUG division is .32acp minimum. Sounds like some kind of urban tactical marketing. A G23 is not a good choice for USPSA, when you could run a G22/G35 instead. And for IDPA SSP, the power floor is 125 so unless you hand load the 40S&W to minor, you are again paying for it in lost time.

The vertical spring test is not absolute, it may work with an almost dead spring, but will definitely not work with a completely dead spring.

Jager makes a Gen4 recoil rod that uses Gen3 springs.

Gen4front.jpg

Edited by 9x45

The vertical spring test is not absolute, it may work with an almost dead spring, but will definitely not work with a completely dead spring.

FWIW, I am using brand new Wolff springs, and have found that on my G20 it takes at least a 13# recoil spring to pass the vertical test when using a 4# striker spring. Brand new 10, 11, and 12# recoil springs would not pass.

YMMV

dsb, yea, I have played around with 15,13 and 11's on my G17, but I don't think it's a good test for aftermarket reduced power springs. Even though the gun functions fine, it is slow to close. I do believe its a good indicator for the stock 17lb spring.

OP, why do you think the OEM recoil spring won't work just fine? Also what is a "pocket gun" class and why would there be a minimum bullet diameter of 10mm? Pocket guns would normally go do to 9x17mm. Even IDPA BUG division is .32acp minimum. Sounds like some kind of urban tactical marketing. A G23 is not a good choice for USPSA, when you could run a G22/G35 instead. And for IDPA SSP, the power floor is 125 so unless you hand load the 40S&W to minor, you are again paying for it in lost time.

there is a 22LR class, 7,65 class, 9mm, 10mm, revolver, rimfire open etc, its a thing special to our country, havent heard of anyone else having it, its basicly for smaller guns. I think it dates back to the 70s at least, so its not new urban tactical, I promise ;)

The english translation for our slang for it would be something like "small guns that makes you fumble"

I have multiple 1050/650s so Im not worried finding the load, but most my shooting is with 2011's in ipsc open and standard division, not glocks, hence my questions on the glock.

Thanks for the tips on recoil rod that handles springs designed for older generations! :)