Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choke selection for 3 gun

Eric1231

My simple rules- Under 14 yards, IC.

Over 15 yards, MOD.

Over 25 yards, Improved MOD.

When in doubt choke up.

"Shoot it like a rifle." -Clark Kennedy.

Congrats on the win Bryan.

I went Full on stage 5 just to be sure because the steel at 26 yards was so small.

I tell people, "Keep your head down, & shoot it like a rifle." at every match. I keep my 10/22 rear sight flipped up all the time.

One of my local matches frequently uses sections of heavy steel 4" pipe, sitting on 6" steel platforms, as shotgun targets. The range is pretty short, mostly under 10 yards, but you still have to get a solid hit using #7.5 target loads, because they're heavy and you have to actually shove them backward off the platform, instead of just getting them to fall over. Full choke is almost mandatory.

One of my local matches frequently uses sections of heavy steel 4" pipe, sitting on 6" steel platforms, as shotgun targets. The range is pretty short, mostly under 10 yards, but you still have to get a solid hit using #7.5 target loads, because they're heavy and you have to actually shove them backward off the platform, instead of just getting them to fall over. Full choke is almost mandatory.

That wouldn't be Cavalier, would it? They're the reason I put a turkey choke on my shotgun.