Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays Or Universal Clays

pmd

I see some guys are using Clays with 180 JHPs.

Most seem to be using "Universal Clays" and some others use "Clays".

I've read that "Clays" has potential pressure problems -

Looking to make major PF w/ 180 JHPs and 5" Ultimatch barrel and want to try an alternative to Tightgroup - would you recommend the use of Clays or Universal Clays? They are both readily available in my area.

Thanks.

Paul

You wrote: "major PF w/ 180 JHPs"

USPSA or IPSC major? I assume 165 pf.

" 5" Ultimatch barrel"

So you are loading for a 1911 or a 2011 that will likely tolerate loading to OAL of 1.200" or more; that extra length is very important to lower pressures with a spikey powder like straight Clays; if you load to 1.200" & are able to nearly prevent any possible chance of set-back with a Lee brand "U" or undersized die, then MAYBE i would consider using straight Clays (except on really hot days).

"and want to try an alternative to Tightgroup"

Problem with TG? I found little difference b/t TG & straight clays outdoors (indoors, TG's blast was noticeable, but not problematic).

"- would you recommend the use of Clays or Universal Clays? They are both readily available in my area."

Last time around, I think most of us agreed that U.Clays becomes dirty & a little inconsistent at lower pressures but if the OAL is "short" (i.e. the manual recommended 1.125 to 1.145" OAL) and its loaded to major, then its OK. I tried it w/ 180s & found it just OK. Seemed to kick more than TG IMHO.

What would I recommend?

1 TG

2 N320

3 U.clays if you load it short & to major

4 if you must AND you honestly know what you are doing (ie U-die) straight Clays. Go easy on the PF.

C.

I've been using straight "Clays" for a couple of years including a summer in the California/Arizona desert. With an AOL of 1.2 I've had no problems, not even pressure signs. On the other hand, before I started loading long I went through 2 slides :blink: What can I say, I'm a slow learner. Anyway, I like Clays and haven't had any trouble once loaded correctly even in the desert. YMMV

Shepard

I have been using straight clays for over 10 years for ipsc major 175 pf or 165 pf. I use 200 gr fmj Zero bullets. I have not had any problems with pressure or gun problems . same 40 cal S V that I started with over 10 years ago. Same slide same frame . Had to replace the barrel last year. Lugs sheared off. Had about 70,000 rds thru it.

i would tend to stay away from staight clays in a major power 40..

the % of score you gain isnt worth the potential gun hazards.

i have had pretty good luck with win 231 in the 40, but its kinda dirty and it may make major one day...then a cool front come through and vel is lower than it needs to be.. :huh:

if your using TG and like it, stick with that..

the good thing about Universal Clays for me is that i shoot a glock and like 200 grain bullets...Titegroup is running out of steam with the 200s...

buy a can and give it a try...your gonna use more powder, but i think its slightly cleaner..

in my opinion, Universal Clays smells better than TG ;)