Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breaking In

mikeg

My project limited gun is being assembled by my gunsmith and will be out in a few weeks. I am just interested in how to test or break in the gun. Do you guys use factory ammo or you use handloaded ammo. If handloaded do you guys use FMJ, Plated or lead. Do you try to use the type of ammo that you intend to use in IPSC competitions (PF = 170: major score) or you water down a bit. Your opinions please.

Thanks.

I feed it what it will get in practice or competition: known magaqzines and ammo. A couple of hundred rounds, then a strip and clean, to inspect and make sure everything is looking correct and wearing as it should. If it malfunctions at all after the first 200, and the strip and clean, then I get concerned.

Trying to break in a new gun, debug new magazines, and develop new loads all at the same time comes close to being hell on earth.

I don't know about the rest of the smiths out there, but mine function fires all my pistols B4 he lets me have them....I have only had very minimal problems with any of the over one dozen he has put up for me... :P

The first time I shot my new 6" gun from Caylor Custom was at an IPSC class - 800 rounds using loads designed for my 5" - about a 175pf. It didn't burp once under some pretty icky conditions (first day - dust and wind, second day - rain, mud in the mags). IMHO, a good gunsmith function fires the gun to make sure it runs. Caylor even asked me for some of the ammo I use in my 5". He wanted to throat the new gun the same so I wouldn't have to adjust my OAL. The only issues I've had have been the loose nut behind the trigger. I keep accidently mashing on the extended mag release I had him put on. We're re-working that right now. I love a gunsmith that taylors a gun too you personally. It's the firearms version of visiting a day spa!