Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using A Combination Gun For Open

Zerwas

I was looking at the possibility of sending my 40 caliber SVI limited back to SV to have an open top fitted to the frame (some time after the season is done). I love the SVI limited gun and I can shoot it fairly well. My question is, do you loose anything by having an open top added on to the existing frame, rather than just buying a whole new open pistol?

One of the biggest benefits of having the same gun and using the same frame in both open and limited is the cost of the pistol. Aside from that the same trigger, the same grip etc would be nice as well.

I'm thinking one of the negatives would be with what type of optic a person could use on the open top if one didn't want to have holes drilled into the side of the dust cover. If that was done, the gun would have to be re sighted in with each use of the open top.

SOOOOO, the options I would have would be with a slide mounted optic of some sort. I know JP makes one, but what other options would I have?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Besides the JPoint there is the Docter. The main disadvantage(s) are going to be that .40 puts you a couple of rounds down on the guys running a smaller caliber and the .40 isn’t as efficient at the comp. If you are willing to give up these points, then I don’t see any issues.

The JPoint/Docter sights don’t give anything up to a C-More IMHO. In fact, I prefer the way they don’t change the presentation from an iron sighted gun (same sight axis). No reflex re-conditioning when switching back to irons would actually be a plus for this type of sight on a convertible.

--

Regards,

Steven,

I thought about pretty much the same thing you are, but in reverse (going from open to limited). After really thinking it through, I ended up just building another gun. With what I would have paid to fit a new slide and barrel to my existing frame.... it was only a few hundred dollars more to build a dedicated gun. Now I don't worry about shooting one barrel more and what is it doing to my lugs and crazy stuff like that...

Just my opinion,

Ray

Just get a different gun built. Sooner or later the one slide won't fit as well. .40 you lose rounds, No problem with the comp(it will shoot as flat as any 9,38, etc.) The JP and Docter are ok at best. There is a difference in sight height but the biggest problem is the goofy tracking of the slide mounted optics.

Steven,

If you like the slide mounted optics ( not my favorite btw) you could make this work. The thing to consider is that a different top end might wear your frame rails at a different rate, you put back the original slide and it doesn't fit as tight.

The way around this would be to accurail the original (limited top end) and have the open top end slide accurailed also. 2 sets of rails and if i am not mistaken, the wear then is mostly on the rails instead of the frame itself. No more loose setup.

I have 2 top ends (.40 +.38 supercomp) on one limited gun and this is how mine is set up, tightness seems to be maintained with both setups.

If you send out your gun to get a new top end fitted, i wonder if during the process of traditonally fitting a new slide to the frame the fit then would change with the old set?

James

Actually, since the top end wouldn't have to be a .40 the round count wouldn't be a huge issue.

The feel thing, while valid, probably isn't as relevant. The gun(s) will act differently because of the configuration.

I agree with the others. Build a new gun on the same type of frame. It'll be less of a pain in the arse later. Plus, guns wear differently. I'd think the gun would loosen up quicker with either top end because each would run the frame differently.

JB

Guest Gunslinger45

I guess that you are building a 38 super/9mm/etc. topend and just planning on changing topends and mags between Open and Limited so the only problem that I see is Open sights/optics mounting and this isn't even a problem if you don't mind sighting in and shooting Limited with holes in your frame (You don't want slide mounted optics if you really want to compete). If your Gunsmith is any good at all you shouldn't have a frame wear problem. I have a frame that has both a 6" and 5" upper for it and I have about 20,000 rounds through the 6" and about 40,000 through the 5" and both fit just as they always have (Allowing for natural wear just like all of my other guns)

Actually as long as the slide was fit to the frame and not the other way around fitting a second topend to your present gun is not a problem. Wear shouldn't be a problem but if you are concerned have them hard chromed.

The JP or Doctor sight mounted on the slide works very well and makes for a mucher easier transistion between open and limited.

We have done a couple of guns this way using a STI/SVI slide, Bar Sto barrel, and a 4 chamber comp for around $900.00 plus the cost of the sight. A lot cheaper then building a complete new gun.......

I did the same thing with my STI EDGE. I had an open top end built but use a Alchin and C-more sight. I switch back and forth from open to limited with no problem. The C-more keeps zero when I mount it back so I never have to sight it back in. I love the combo, I shoot 135grs out of it and it shoots flat.

It takes about 3 minutes to switch it from open to limited. Just take out the 5 screws and switch top ends. Same mags etc. I get 25 in my 170mm and 21 in my 140mm using Grams 11mm bases and 20 in the 140mm mags with all Grams internals. The biggest difference is the selection of bullets in the lower weights in the 40 compared to the 38 super. Capacity also comes into play but I'm not at a level where that will even matter.

Heres my rig Here

Flyin40