Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10# RSA in a G20?

dsb

So I'm experimenting with 'light' loads in a G20, and I'm using a 10# wolff recoil spring. It won't pass the vertical test with a 4# striker spring, but it seems to run OK. Is this too light? It'll pass the vertical test with a 12# recoil spring/4# striker, should that be the minimum? The slide on this thing is massive.

Thanks,

Dave

The "test" to you refer is to ensure that the proper balance (actually, the lack thereof) exists between the Recoil Spring and the Firing Pin Spring.

These two springs operate in opposition to each other and if the RS is too light in relation to the FPS, the gun can come out-of-battery while the trigger bar is pushing the Firing Pin to its fully-cocked position. This can set up the infamous "kaBOOM" scenario where the case head separates and all of that pressure is vented into areas not designed to handle it.

With your "light" loads, this scenario is unlikely, but anything can happen with unsupported brass....

Ok, so what's your load? And what does it chrono at?

180 grn Zero going 760 fps... and while it shoots silly soft, my concern is that the gun isn't functioning properly and may have an issue. I can load it to whatever, I'm just concerned that the 10# recoil spring is too light for the gun to function properly since it won't pass the vertical test. I'm also somewhat concerned about light strikes with the 4# striker spring although that hasn't presented itself as a problem (I'm using Winchester primers).

Thanks Bruce, I think I'll put the 12# recoil spring back in and load to that.

Lt. Braxton, my experience with KaBooms is from bullet setback. And I though the recoil spring weight was independent of the firing pin spring weight. Have you actual witnessed a Glock KaBoom out of battery? I tried to get it to do that using squib loads, but nothing happens.