Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello From Chicago! Anyone else trying to improve their skills in

vactor

hey guys. been on the forums a bit and want to start improving as an overall shooter. i'd love to compete more and practice, but living IN THE CITY OF CHICAGO seems to make it rather prohibitive. no close ranges, traffic is a nightmare (most ranges where they have a 'practice' night on occasion are more than an hour and a half away in traffic, and all start less than an hour after work, so are impossible to get to for me), and matches seem to be few in the area, much less the ability to actually train at anything other than a static lane range with slow and controlled fire only and no manipulations (drawing from holster, reloading, etc).

i may not be using my search skills to their best, and i was wondering if there are any fellow chicagoans on the board who can give me some tips on how to do something i love, in a city that HATES what i do :(

cheers!

p.s.

my living room looks like a mess as i have small targets taped up all over to dry fire ... fun, and improves my skills, but ... it ain't the same.

I don't live in the city, (although we do visit it quite a bit), but out in the western 'burbs. Are you willing to come out of the city to play?

We have several indoor ranges in my area, but you are very limited in what you can practice at these ranges. No drawing from holsters, no rapid fire, etc. I did take a couple of courses through the Excel Training Group, which is where I learned drawing/shooting from a holster, reloads, range commands, etc.

I just started competition shooting this year doing some local Steel Plate matches at the North Porter County Conservation Club. They are in northern Indiana, only an hour and 10 minutes from my house in Carol Stream, so it should be closer for you. They are very friendly, good with new people, and safe. They also do USPSA, IDPA and Cowboy shoots.

They are having a Steel Plate Match this Saturday. Goes from 9am to 2pm. Come down and check it out, it's free to watch. Or bring your gun, holster, magazines, ammo, and $20 to play. Details are on the web site. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Bob

sure, the problem is work and traffic. i can't make most of the excel stuff as i can't leave work early and they start before i can get there. if they started closer to 8, i could make it, but the Kennedy and Ike being what they are, during rush hour, well neigh impossible to get anywhere in less than an hour. ugh! i usually go shoot at Deb's in Indiana, but ... it's Debs. people are nice, but small, smokey, dark, and lots of untrained folks putting shots in the ceilings LOL

i think i may have to join NPCC next year, but the season is short and again, i gotta get there right after work on a tuesday to try and make their one-da-a-month new member application meeting.

hmmm ... ok, i will try and make it to NPCC saturday. hope to see you there :D

I hear you, the week day stuff is tough for me also, because I get up very early for work.

The wife and I are planning on being there Saturday. She shoots in the rimfire class, and ladies shoot free.

And BTW, you don't have to be a member to compete.

Bob

So.....did you make it down? There were a lot of first timers, but I didn't know if you were one of them. It was a beautiful day, and we had a heck of a lot of fun!

Bob

Edited by BobT

Excel does have a few "Skills and Drills" practices each month that start at 8pm. I work in the city and have the same issue of getting to a range by 6 so the 8pm time works out great.

Edited by thejez

• 2 weeks later...