Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Duds!! HELP

Jeeper

I went to the range today and had about 20% of my ammo not fire. Most would fire the second time(I just recocked the hammer). I am looking for possible causes.

Load

5.1gr vvn320

180gr JHP

WSP primers

Gun

STI

I have shot the load with this gun for 2 years.

What I have checked so far:

Firing Pin is straight

Firing Pin spring is fine

Mainspring is fine. I had a spare and replaced it but the Duds still happened

The only thing I can think of right now is the primers. I just opened a new sleeve of them but the lot is the same as I have been using for a year.

Any brainstorms would be appreciated. I am about to go to the range with some federal primers in the same load. I also have some WSR that I am going to try. It really seems like a gun issue though.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like high primers - first strike is seating the primers, and 2nd is setting them off. Have you checked the primers on the loaded rounds? They're supposed to be slightly below the level of the case head, when properly seated... If they're flush w/ the case head, you may not have enough mainspring to seat the primer *and* ignite it...

I concur with Dave. What press are you loading these on? If it's a 550 or 650 are you pushing the handle forward the same amount each time? If it's a 1050, I believe that you can adjust the primer seating depth, maybe something came loose...

Ray

I box all my ammo and check for high primers. My primer seating pin was a hair loose but barely a 1/4 turn. Off to the range right now to see if the federals fire. I also ran some of the non-firing loads through the primer station again to see if they will go now. I load on a 650

I also ran some of the non-firing loads through the primer  station again to see if they will go now.  I load on a 650

If you ever experienced setting off a primer in your reloading machine, you may think of how it is to fire an entire round. Dont set the primer deeper on an already loaded round. Could be extremely dangerous.

Just a thought...

I am back from the range and all the federals fired. I primed all of them before I noticed the primer pin being loose. The ones that I "reprimed" also all fired(I only did 20 though). I am going to use the federals for the match just in case it is something else. I would guess that it was high primers but they were all below the rim. Maybe they just werent low enough. I have had the pin back out before and never had this problem though. It really is puzzling me.

Also make sure your overtravel screw is not to far in on the trigger. Test it by holding the trigger in and rocking the hammer back and forth. You should feel no resistance or bump at all. If you do it may be that the sear is bumping the hammer hooks and slowing down the hammer enought to give you inconsistant ignition.

It's not just seating depth that guarantees ignition - it's whether the primer anvil will stay absolutely still when the hammer hits. If the primer dissipates ANY energy by moving or compressing loose "crud" in your primer pockets, then you'll have some problems.

This is considered labor-intensive by many guys but I've had ZERO IGNITION FAILURES since going to it about 5 years and maybe 125,000 rounds ago, much of that on a Glock:

1. Tumble the brass, shake out as much media as possible, throw it in a cardboard box, and douse it with Hornady One-Shot Case Lube.

2. Size all the cases, working the ram with left hand and the new cases with the right. This step has the powder measure removed from the press. The sized cases fall into the plastic bin.

3. Tumble the sized & decapped brass. The amount of black crap that comes off the cases in this step is very noticeable, it puts a ring in the tumbler.

4. Check the [really really] clean cases for media in the flash-holes and remove any that's there. Put cases in loading tray and flip them over. Spray tail end of cases with Hornady One-Shot. Mix them around in the cardboard box again.

5. Load as usual. The loading goes very very fast and with minimum effort. Feel every primer being seated and seat each with the same force.

I never check for high primers any more because I won't find any & it wouldn't matter if I did - the rounds still go off every time.

If you shoot Glock or revolver with moon-clips, this method & Federal primers will save you a lot of grief.

PS - it could be that your cases are so used & shortened that they are moving forward in the chamber as the firing pin hits.