Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yes, I'm asking another bunch of RL1050 questions

So, while waiting for my Mark7 to show up I decided to tear the 1050 down completely, it's been a long long time since I did that, and figured it was a good idea before automating it. I'm incredibly happy with how the casefeeder is working now that I modified the clutch (will install the new one when it arrives though). I think I might want to replace the bearing dowel pins though. This is an old machine, and there is a fair bit of slop in the bearing now that it's back together. I didn't lose any pins, but it sure looks like I could almost get one more in there. Angus Hobdell posted his old machine on FB last night and the bearing pins are in a sealed race with no locking rings on the main housing, unlike mine. Is this an older design, or a newer one? If it's newer where does one get the part numbers for it? Looking at the Dillon site I could find nothing on that, or a link to RL1050 parts even, I'm assuming a phone call will sort that out. Are the dowel pins an off the shelf part or are they Dillon specific?

The earlier RL1050s had a caged bearing. The later ones had the dowel pins with a ring on either side to secure them. The dowel pins are an off-the-shelf item, not custom made. They are a 5/32 x 5/8" hardened dowel pin.73 are needed.

Most excellent, and many thanks for the reply. All I can find online is stainless dowel pins at Ackland grainger and such, will those work or do I need hardened ones? None of the product descriptions list that they are hardened.

Edited by slavex

Try McMaster.com. I use them as they will sell to you if you don't have a business (and I don't anymore).

search for dowel pin, select the size (5/32 diameter. 5/8 long) and you get 3 choices, the alloy steel says packs of 25 (really reasonable) but then when you add says packs of 10. Amazon has some different dowel pins listed too.

But why not call Dillon and see how much they want. Then you know you got the right ones that they use. Sometimes I do that. I've bought bearings for a drill that were cheaper from DeWalt or Porter Cable than I could buy them online. Don't ask why. I guess they get them in volume.

Jason

I got the impression from Dillon's post that they don't sell the dowel pins, but I will phone and ask. If they do I'll have 3 orders in the mail, sigh, one should try to order everything at once to save on shipping. dumb me

• 2 weeks later...

So, 5/8 isn't the correct length apparently, measuring the ones from my 1050 gives me 25/32 or 0.7890 or 20.07mm,so the dowel pins my local supplier got are all too short by a long margin. Awesome. Oh, and they were special order too, so no returns.

Dillon does sell the pins, but at $1.50 each. I would imagine that over the years there have been a lot of changes and maybe at one time 5/8 is what they used. My press is certainly unique, apparently it has a Super 1050 drive shaft, based on the offset it has compared to other 1050s. Not sure how that happened. I measured the pins in my press and they are still within spec, so the slop I thought worn pins had created is just the normal needed for the press operation I guess. Thankfully the other pins didn't cost a lot, but it was annoying to rip everything apart and discover the difference. But the press is back together and working great, better than after my rip apart I two weeks ago. Not sure what is different, but it's running better. Strangeness.