Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 (165pf) mistake

firewalker

With the new rule changes i loaded up a bunch of the short 45GAP brass, fed primers 185 berrys HBRN behind 5.1 gr clays :o well i knew it should make major with a 4" 625 and be much easier to reload :rolleyes: To make a long story short HBRN plated bullets can have there hollow bases blown out when pushed to max pressures :blink: Maybe this thread should be in match screw ups?.....anyways in the first string of fire all bases blew off and sent shaprenel into multible targets sending lead thru my revolver and tying it up.......I guesess im back to 45 acp cases. and yes it was a DNF match :(

Frederick Haring

Wow, sounds like it would have been exciting to be there! Thanks for the heads up with those bullets. I have had good luck with them at lower pressures, and hopefull they will be fine with a little slower powder!

DougC

Firewalker,

Sounds like your using too much powder. With the GAP length being shorter than ACP, you will need to back-off your powder charge to achieve the same velocity, especially with Clays.

For example: I cut down my ACP length from .890 to .800 (-.090 ). At factory length i use 3.6 grn Clays to make 170 PF. At my cut-down length i use 3.2 grn to make 170 PF. Case space has an effect on Clays powder.

Now, these are case lengths not OAL so depending on your bullet ( lead, plated, jacketed ) choice, it can differ also. I would chrono first before going any futher. Good luck

Dan

With the new rule changes i loaded up a bunch of the short 45GAP brass, fed primers 185 berrys HBRN behind 5.1 gr clays

GOOD GOD MAN! :wacko:

Prefface: I shoot a bottom feeder.

3.5-6 of Clays get me Major in a 4"

Still got all your fingers? :huh:

No pressure signs were apparent on the brass, in looking back at the falures of the load. The GAP brass was strong enough, But with the long chamber legnth of the 625 45 ACP there was room for the hollow base to expand and seal before the shoulder step on the ACP case and thus have nose shear off as it exited the cylinder with base being forced out in a spray behind it... :huh:

Just an example of trying to make a short cartridge do things it wasent designed to do :ph34r:

Frederick Haring