Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square Deal problem

Was reloading some .45 last night, when suddenly the shell plate was not longer forwarding (ratcheting should be the right word), it just stayed and could be only be forwarded or reversed by hand. I think something must have been broken inside. What can be done here??

Do I need to send the press back to Dillon for repair?? Or is this something I could easily fix (I am not much mechanically inclined, but I am an avid wood worker, so I guess I could try to tackle this myself, or?).

Any idea or hint would be very helpful.

Did you check to see if the screw in the center of the shell plate came loose?

Its tight, first thing I checked, took the plate off and cleaned everything, put it back on and tightened.

No worky....Call Dillon later.

I bought a used one where the cap screw securing pawl assembly to the ram had come loose.

The ram had to be removed to tighten the screw though, as it faces from back to front and is on the rear of the ram.

Does the shellplate move at all when you cycle the handle? If it moves clockwise at first, then comes back, that usually means that the detent ball is missing or gummed up and stuck down.

Next, does the spring-loaded pawl on the top of the index lever pivot and spring back?

• 2 weeks later...

Press is back from Dillon and repaired. They replaced the ejector wire, the indexer pawl and the toolhead friction plate.

Now my 9 mm press was shipped back. The problem here is that I have had issues with the primer system for quite some time.

I get a lot of upside down, and side wyas as well as no primers put into the cartridge, giving me a scrap rate of a good 3%

I finally had it and started to look very closely. What I found was quiter interesting and explaining my problems. Very often the primer ;pinch/primer cup is hitting

the platform base disc and with this hitting, the primers are getting ejected, up-side donw turned or side ways.

I think in the attached pictures this is made very clear, although it is really hard to get to this area with the camera. They were send to Dillon and they have asked me to send the press in for repair.

Hope it comes back fast as the other one.

post-54788-0-17361300-1440806700_thumb.j

post-54788-0-23460400-1440806719_thumb.j

post-54788-0-65299600-1440806749_thumb.j