Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CR/ELS Hybrid

As I worked to build my belt rig, I wanted something stiff yet allowed the flexibility to change belt attachments between stages. I ultimately pulled this off using a CR Hi Torque belt as the base and attached ELS clips. I thought a how-to (how I did) guide would be helpful for those individuals looking to do the same thing.

This is just what I did, but it seems to work well. Please comment if you have other suggestions or improvements. Im always looking to improve.

Tools:

• soldering iron with a 1/8” round pointed tip
  • wooden block (place behind belt when using soldering iron)
  • utility knife/box cutter
  • countersink drill bit
  • drill
  • clamp
  • metal ruler
  1. I started out by positioning the QLS holster bracket. I placed mine next to the fuzzy velcro section so the two ends would meet behind me. post-59497-0-50309400-1439340248_thumb.j
  2. I set my ruler and clamped it into position on the belt. The holes are slightly below the middle seam allowing the top of the brackets to be flush with the top of the belt. post-59497-0-10447600-1439340264_thumb.j
  3. I made a small pilot hole initially with the tip of the soldering iron every 3/4 inch. I have seen other measurements that are very similar but not exact, 13/16 inch.
  4. After removing the clamp and ruler, I went back and completed each hole pushing the iron tip into the wooden block. I didn't use much force; I just let the soldering iron heat melt through the material. My block had a hole drilled into it and I was able to use that as a guide to make sure the holes were perpendicular to the belt. I continued that until I was at the end of the belt, roughly 3 different sections.
  5. To remove the melted nylon that pushed up from the periphery of the hole, I used a countersink drill bit. I put the finishing touches on with a small utility blade.
  6. I then figured out where I wanted the different pouches and installed as if on an ELS belt. I did take the added precaution of using some blue loctite to prevent the bolts from backing out.

post-59497-0-16580800-1439340206_thumb.jpost-59497-0-47596400-1439340240_thumb.j

I am so far very happy with this setup. I would like another Invictus practical 12 round shell holder, but in due time.

• 1 month later...