Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open shorty build.

Open1215

I know this gets asked about every year but I'm going to ask it again so please bare with me. I plan to have an open gun built for me in the next month. I would love to shoot an svi but for now I don't want to wait the 15 months ( I may still get one but not this moment)

I've looked at lone star, cheeley, atlas gunworks, and akai. I'm probably spending the same amount with any of these builders and I'm ok with the cost. I've been planning on this purchase fir some time now. I have looked at FGW and black dog as well but I have not spoken with anyone yet. I'm sure I am over looking a TON of good builders but of this list, who would you go with. If you have someone in Florida that does great work for a small group of people that works too. My build sheet is

9 and 38 super barrel

Shorty gun.

Mild stipple on plastic or steel grip

90 degree c-more mount.

V-porting in the 38 barrel and less or no ports in the 9.

Pretty basic stuff...

I've debated just buying one of each from ck arms from shooters connection, cry about the price but get them NOW and have a back up to shoot if something goes wrong, I have the exact same gun just in a diff caliber for the match. Only thing is they are all full size from what I've seen in stock.

Thanks you all for the advice. If you have had bad exp or would like to warn me of a builder please pm me and let me know. I don't want this to be a bash the builder thread but do appreciate a head up!

Hello: Go with a full size gun. It will do everything a shorty will and more. Less powder to make major also. Don't bother with the 38 barrel and just shoot 9mm. There are lots of shorty used guns for sale on here so have a look and maybe ask why? For the price of a SVI you can buy 2 open guns and lots of ammo components, maybe even a Dillon 1050. You will have more than one open gun till you find what you like, then you can have one built. I would get a new STI Tru-Bor in 9mm and change parts as you think you need to. Keep the old parts for spares. Thanks, Eric

I know this gets asked about every year but I'm going to ask it again so please bare with me. I plan to have an open gun built for me in the next month. I would love to shoot an svi but for now I don't want to wait the 15 months

My last one only took about 5 months.

That's awesome build time! I was quoted me at 12-15 months when I emailed my design. I've seen there face book page and they are really cranking them out! About 4-5 new guns a week.

My previous one took full 14-15 months, but apparently they are doing better now.

Was it worth the wait? I think so, in both cases. I went through quite a few open guns, and I like these best. Expensive, yes... but I think you get what you pay for.

Perhaps, if I were you, I would place an order with them, and in the meantime buy a decent used one to get the feel and experience. You can often sell it again with no loss.

Edited by Foxbat