Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TK Custom clips: 0.025 vs 0.025 StarLine specific?

mcb

What is the difference between the 0.025 thick moon clips that are for all brass except Win and the 0.025 thick moon clips made specifically for Star Line. From the descriptions is sound like the Star Line specific has a slightly smaller radius where is wraps around the case? Are there any other differences?

What caliber?

38/357 in general but specifically looking at getting more for my 442 moon clip.

Sorry the moonclip nerd in me put the dimensions and brass together as .357/.38 subconsciously. I'd wonder what brand your defensive load was and base my clip choice off of that. I would think corbon, double tap, and Buffalo would be starline brass....maybe Underwood too. Super hot stuff. Remington or Federal should take the 0.025. Winchester will be 0.020 if memory serves.

Currently carrying Winchester on the three OEM clips. Will probably order a few of all three as I am in the mood to play but was hoping to understand what differentiated the StarLine specific 0.025 from the regular 0.025.

OEM clips are generally generous jack of all brass. It's not like you're shooting competitions so nobody should be stepping on them. Winchester should be fine for you. You may look into the specific clips for Winchester ammo.

That groove under the rim....was never spec'd out because they never envisioned the adaptation of moonclips when the .38/.357 was created. So Winchester has the skinniest and ¿shallowest? of grooves and starline has the most generous and deepest of grooves. IIRC. Hope that helps.

So I just noticed that TK Custom claims (and I have no reason to doubt) that their regular .025 thick moonclips for a J-frame are the OEM clips that came with my 442 Moon clip. Interestingly even though TK website say that Winchester brass needs the .020 I have been having good luck with running Winchester 38 Spl +P PDX1 130gr HP on the OEM clips. So I ordered more of the OEM clips and one of the pocket moon clip protectors. If it ain't broke don't fix it.