Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

(Some) CZ TS mags not dropping free

balmo

I was testing function on my TS today. I noticed that the mags were not dropping free. There is already resistance just barely inserting the magazine. However, the mags will drop free when it is empty. I started to add rounds and check to see if its still drops and by the 6th round, it will start not to drop free.

Interestingly enough, I tried my newer mags and they will drop free, regardless whether it is loaded or empty. The ones I have trouble are older, well used mags. Took out my grips (no problem there, CZC thin grips are shallower than the frame) and checked out the mag brake. the bottom part is free and clear but I cannot confirm on the top part near the pin.

Any ideas? Mag brake? But the (older) mags drop when it is empty. Could it be the older mags expand ever so slightly when it is loaded? Thank you.

Busted out the caliper and found something interesting. When I load the mag with rounds, the mag body arounds the mag catch hole expands by about 0.003". That was enough to make the mag drag around that area. So I clamped the mag in a vise and pressed it to about 0.006". Now all the mags drop freely.