Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marking Cases

rossneder

I searched for how people mark their brass, all the ideas seem a little time consuming.

Has anybody sprayed, diped, rolled etc their finished loads in a bright fast drying ink? The ink I have in mind is the same as what sharpie markers use, just in bulk liquid form.

Issues for me are covering the bullet and what effect that would have in the barrel, smoke, soot ???

What do you think?

Ross

The marker method that is available via hosercam.com is about the best I've seen. Another thing I thought about would be to just use an ink pad with that ink as the basis and just douse the heads of the cases. However, if they land case head down, you are out of luck finding them without picking them up. I shot a match today with my hosercam striper marked brass today and I bet I received 95% or better of my 38 super brass back. People keep picking it up over the course of fire and by the end of the course, they have pretty much picked it all up for me.

Vince

Despite my colored cases, about half the surface area of the brass had blue and red on it, it's still hard to find in grass only a few inches high. And at the range I was at, It was even sparse grass, not a lawn or anything like that. Just random patches of weeds on smooth silty dirt. Mostly what you need is contrasting colors, a blaze orange might be better, but you see so little surface area, that even that might not be enough. I think the key is to know where your brass lands and then go looking based on what positions you shot. That seems to be the easiest way.

I'm lucky that my open gun pretty much throws them about 3 ft in front of me and 3 ft to the right. It's pretty consistent that way.

Vince

I asked this same question several weeks ago. I was directed to the rig you can buy from the Hoser cam site. It looked rather time consuming. I decided to try marking them myself. I had a plastic insert from a box of ammo. I just suck the round in it, pressed a permanent marker against the brass and gave it a turn. I worked fine but need a better system in you are marking a thousand rounds.

The thing I did not like was it left residue in my gun. I only ran about 150 rounds through it. It did not effect the function yet but perhaps after more rounds it would. I only put one stripe about 1/8" wide on each case. Perhaps the sharpie I used was not the correct type of marker.

I think if you painted the entire case with ink you would have problems.

Dave