Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

newbie/ rem1100

gregthemoth

I need help, Im new to 3gun and newer to semi auto shotguns. I came across a used Rem1100tac4 thought it was the answer to my needing a gun problem (I think I paid to much). brought home, cleaned it up added daves metal works easyloader. Everything works on the bench. I take it out and shoot it Slugs great, buck shot great, target loads no good. I tried three different brands fed rem Winchester. it might fire 2 or 3 rounds, most often just one round then the bolt locks open. Is this an ammo problem that Ive read about, or is something else going on. Thank you for any input Greg

Check the o ring in the gas system for wear and elasticity. Certain solvents can mess this up. Ensure that the piston group is all assembled properly. Sounds like your not getting the best of seals around the piston. Also check to make sure the action is well lubricated and cycles freely. Make sure the outside of the magazine tube is clean and lubricated. I remember my 1100 was not a fan of being too dirty and left uncleaned between shoots, but could run a good 500 rounds of heavy dove loads no trouble. It was the regular cleaning interval that was important.

The outside of the mag tube is just normal carbon steel. I think on the 11-87 that was one of the fixes they came up with, was a (polished?) stainless steel mag tube.

Some guys here have gently scrubbed down the outside of the 1100 mag tube with a green scotch brite pad.

Then they used a motor oil, like Gastrol synthetic detergent motor oil or Mobil 1, to lube the outside of the mag tube. It might be worth it to do a keyword search here for Mobil 1 or Gastrol.

And of course the O-rings like previously mentioned.

It's been a few years since I have disassembled and re-assembled an 1100. IIRC, there are some parts or other seals or metal rings involved that you have to line up the correct way or have facing the correct way. It might be worth a look on YouTube for Remington 1100 assembly videos.

The Dave's Metal works easyloader replaces he factory lifter latch. It required some fitting when installed. Did you happen to test it at all with the factory latch before you installed it? If the bolt is locking open with the next shell laying on the carrier, this can be caused by any of the following-

1) Low bolt cycle speed due to poor gas seal or under-powered loads (mentioned by others above). Essentially the shell hits the latch before the bolt is all the way back, and it re-latches before the bolt engages the lifter dog.

2) The little hooks you had to fit between the easyloader and the lifter have too much friction or a little too much undercut, and need the heavier recoil slap of the stouter loads to jar it loose so the bolt will close.

3) The magazine spring has insufficient strength to launch the shell against the latch to release it. This is least likely if it functions with some ammo but not others, and most likely if malfunctions occur more frequently with an almost-empty mag and hardly ever with a full mag.

There are other possibilities, but these I have seen personally most frequently. What are the specs on the lighter bird loads that wouldn't run?

The outside of the mag tube is just normal carbon steel. I think on the 11-87 that was one of the fixes they came up with, was a (polished?) stainless steel mag tube.

Some guys here have gently scrubbed down the outside of the 1100 mag tube with a green scotch brite pad.

Then they used a motor oil, like Gastrol synthetic detergent motor oil or Mobil 1, to lube the outside of the mag tube. It might be worth it to do a keyword search here for Mobil 1 or Gastrol.

And of course the O-rings like previously mentioned.

It's been a few years since I have disassembled and re-assembled an 1100. IIRC, there are some parts or other seals or metal rings involved that you have to line up the correct way or have facing the correct way. It might be worth a look on YouTube for Remington 1100 assembly videos.

Correct the 11-87 is stainless tube. Different piston setup too.

Triflo is all that I have used for the past 20 years to maintain my guns. It works fairly well at temperature. The fore end is fairly open on those guns. I'd be scared of attracting dirt with a heavier oil. Then again I used to drag mine through the woods and we'd get all kinds of stuff stuck up in there. Those handguard vents are generous.

Thank you everyone. The gun was thoroughly cleaned before I started install of the esayloader the gun should have worked. So what I did was put the gun back to stock and tested it, and it shot good full mag rapid fire also ones and twos. Then I put the easyloader back in and tested it again everything good, works great. What I think happened was I had the plunger springs mixed up,making the latch to stiff to allow consistent unlatching. I hope that it so far its good. On a side note the easyloader had to be clearance in places not noted in the instructions , by time I saw what was happening I had filed to much from the lug that contact the latch. It just barely disconnects but seems to work. Thanks again Greg