Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What bullet would you use?

Classic1911

Hello All. I have a 9mm 1911 that has a barrel that measures .357" (I have slugged it more than once). I have two questions.

1. What diameter plated bullet should I use? A .357" bullet seems right as opposed to a .355" bullet? And,

2. What diameter should my cast bullets be? I think they should be around .001" to .002" over groove diameter, in other words, .358" to .359".

The trick is I live in South Africa and I am using Frontier CMJ bullets. I also load on a Dillon SD-B so my powder funnel is a 9mm funnel...

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Bullet to barrel fit is one of the most important things for accuracy. If it was me I would try .358 plated, definately .358 cast and you may even be better off with .359 cast.

All very good and informative answers above. If it were me though I would be looking for a barrel with a groove diameter closer to the caliber. I have some 9's that measure .356 and shoot .357 diameter bullets with some careful loading, anything larger than .357 in a 9mm is going to be more trouble than it's worth.