Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA#5, OAL, Etc...

Okay, the range yielded more questions than answers today. I figured this was worth a whole new thread.

I'm using the above named powder, starline brass, and Berry's 180gr plated flat points. My goal is the softest loads that will reliably run the gun, a Glock22 with a match barrel.

My first attempt was with a 6.4gr charge. At an average of 900fps or so, it was a litle snappy, but I had 2 failures to feed at a COL of around 1.121. These bullets seem to vary in length as most loads were about 1.125, matching some factory loads I had on hand.

Now, to end this little ramble with a question:

If I increase my COL to 1.135 or so (which is max in my manuals, and feeds through the gun when cycled by hand) what happens with pressures in the chamber? Do they spike? At this charge weight , is it even worth considering? Given that these are IDPA loads, and that I can drop to 700fps (!!!) am I using the wrong powder?

(One question, three questions, who's counting?)

The longer length will reduce pressure, which will reduce velocity, which will require more powder to make your target velocity. Load as long as you can run in your magazines with 100% functioning.

Watch out for that AA#5. Your next batch may be made in Israel or Czechoslovakia or who knows where, and they are inconsistent between lots.

In my lurking here and on GT, I've gotten the impression that #5 was inconsistent. I only bought a pound, and that was before I started really looking into it.

After I use it up, I'll probably be buying another powder. This is funny-looking stuff to a guy used to universal. There is a somewhat coarse flake action going on, but there are also much finer pieces in there, as if it's breaking down. Wierd.

As for losing velocity, this is a pure "gamer" load, and soft is the name of my reloading game. I appreciate the input.

you should be able to load out the the maximum OAL that you mags will allow.  (likely no more than 1.165 in the Glock 40...might be a bit different for 10 rounders as oppose to hicaps)

I wonder why you loads won't feed at 1.125.  They should!  What barrel do yuo have in the gun?

Match barrels are notorious for changing the reliability equation. Yours has become pickier about the length it wants to be able to feed. The consensus here seems to be that your oal should = what feeds best, then adjust powder for desired PF.

SA

I assume you have access to a chrono...

I lke 3.6 of Clays under a 165 for minor .40 loads. It MIGHT be softer than a 9mm, though I have not done an offical a/b comparison.

It's my understanding that the .40 was designed from the start to be a hollowpoint cartridge, so you should see far less oal differences between bullet brands compared to other cartridges. The oals are more consistent between bullets than with a 9mm for example.

Hey, Flex! The 1.125 loads would feed, but some loads are 2 or 3 thou below that (I think due to variations in the bullets themselves. My plated .45's were the same way. ) Going with the "longer is better" theory, I ran my seating die out. I also tightened my crimp die a little. I'm loathe to put a true crimp on them, cuz Brian's reloading video says not to. 1.165 seems huuuge, but I might try it if this new batch isn't satisfactory.

Steve: I do have a chrono, and will follow your suggestion, concentrating on feeding, then getting the feel I want. From what I've seen I shouldn't even need it, since the velocity I need to make IDPA's Minimum Power Floor is ridiculously low. I shot a couple of Winchester "white box" loads for comparison yesterday, at about 950fps, and then six of mine, which averaged right at 900. ,ES of twenty-something (sorry, don't have my notes).

Oh, yeah, to answer Kyle's question, the barrel is from Wilson Combat. Given that they stamp their name into other people's products, it'sa anybody's guess who the manufacturer is. They usually sell good stuff, though, and this bbl has fed factory ammo like a champ.

(Edited by bluemeanie at 7:25 am on June 19, 2002)

BM,

A few things...

1.  Guys shooting the tricked-out 1911 based guns...they have OAL of 1.200 and greater in the 40 S&W (the 1911's are larger guns and feed better that way).  In the Glock...the 1.165 OAL is just about the max that will likely run through a Glock mag without getting stuck.

2.  Like Steve said.  Adjust OAL for best feeding first.

3.  I don't like that your barrel won't feed if the bullets are a little below 1.125...especially those Berry's.  (though I wouldn't load that short).  

4.  I think I would polish up that feed ramp.  Most feed ramps have little horizontal ridges running accross them...kinda like an old gravel road that goes up a hill.  This provides a wash-board effect...lots of bouncing (on a small scale).  There are some good post regarding polishing...benefits and how-to's...so, I won't go into that.

Bottom line...for me...I wouldn't push the 1.65 length on the long end...nor, would I go below 1.135