Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TS conversion

NOSAJ19

I routinely test my loads as I develop them. I've found that some of the "conventional wisdom" isn't. I insist on good SDs as well as accuracy. Early on I discovered my TS did not like the 155gr LSWC I tried, but did very well with 175 and 180gr bullets. Since I use this pistol in Limited, I first worked up Major loads using 180gr LTC bullets. I discovered things started to stabilize at around 158PF. By 165 they were great. I went to 170 and 172 just to have some cushion. e3 and N340 were the two powders used for these loads. Both returned single digit SDs, and were equally accurate. The e3 load was a little softer shooting.

When I was developing the Minor load, things got interesting. It turned out N340 was way too slow a powder to use for Minor. e3 worked fine, but in ranges. Using the same bullet, accuracy was not good until I got up to the 138-140PF range. I settled on 144 because it was just as accurate and functioned with the same spring used for the Major load.

When I tried the Xtreme 165gr HPCBHP bullet, I found I could not simply substitute it for the 180 as is often suggested. I found I had to drive it faster to get good SDs and accuracy. It really seems that 140 is the floor for accuracy in my TS. I find this a little surprising, because my 45 1911s are accurate with bullets from 152gr through 230 at PFs between 132 and 190.

I've just been trying some Rainier 155gr TC bullets to see if I would like that for Major. I haven't found anything I like yet, but N340 seems more promising than e3 so far.

Edited by zzt