Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AP customs cf handguard

ronhonda

There is a good deal on a AP Custom gen 1 Carbon fiber handguard and I'm really interested in buying one. Is there a big difference between gen1&2? Looking to mount it on a JP-15. Any thoughts?

If I'm not mistaken, the Gen 1 has a glossy finish to it where as the Gen 2 is matte.

This is only a hunch as I've built a trainer .22 upper but the newer AP handguard has a different finish.

I just helped a guy build an upper with a Gen 2 and I use a Gen 1. The differences that I can see are:

Gen 2 has a new nut and handguard attachment system that has more attachment screws and you can use a crow foot wrench instead of an armorers wrench to assemble (Gen 1 uses a Mil Spec nut that is not supplied). You can use the new nut/attachment assembly on an old Gen 1 handguard too. The Gen 2 has a trim cap at the end.. Gen 2 has a dedicated bipod stud hold too. Both the newer Gen 1 and Gen 2's are matte finish. I really liked the new nut system.

On the Gen II they added an aluminum trim cap, more rigid rail attachment, more solid trunnion system, and a dedicated bipod stud location (Tactical versions come with a mounted full length top rail). Gen 1s will use the factory barrel nut with a trunnion, and Gen 2s come with a proprietary barrel nut.