Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open steel gun upper advice

ktyler

I am getting ready to build a 9mm open upper for shooting steel. I am going to use the stock Springfield RO for limited and I won a Caspian slide recently at the Briley's West Coast Steel match and I plan on having it lightened and mount an optic on the slide. Leaning toward the RMR right now. Any suggestions on that part would be great.

I am at a loss for what the best comp set up is. Aluminum , titanium, steel.....2 port 3port ect. Looking to use 105 gr bayou bullets with autocomp , I have shot open for years and I am familiar with how to set up those pistols but steel is a different game. If there is anyone that would mind sharing their set up they use and tell me why you settled on it I would really appreciated it.

Thanks

Keith

My thoughts are at 9mm minor or even sub minor you really don't need a comp. I am having a pistol put together right now with a hybrid barrel that has 2 holes and no comp. I am going to use an RMR machined into the slide. I should have this in about 6 more weeks. I was using 90grn MG's with Tite group in a 9mm limited style gun before I don't know what I will use with the new one.

I started this thread the other week.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217868

I have always questioned the need for a comp for a SC open gun. Since you aren't doing double-taps like USPSA, having a super fast followup shot isn't really necessary. Having the extra weight on the end of the barrel probably hinders a fast swing to the next plate more than the comp might help with keeping the gun flat.

First match I shot with the gun set up like this I was amazed at how much better the gun swings without the extra 3-4 ounces of comp on the end of the barrel. I am running an approx. 110pf load through the gun and it shoots super flat and super soft and I won't miss the bark of the comp and popple holes ;)

EDIT - Just wanted to add that the slide on my gun is the same slide that I use for USPSA with the comped barrel. Slide weighs in at 10 oz.

Edited by scottlep

Yes. Here are before and after pics. It is my 2011 9mm Major Open Gun. I fit a new bull barrel just for shooting SC.

Before
post-43369-0-33137100-1436538952_thumb.j

After
post-43369-0-50895600-1436538978_thumb.j

(Don't mind the peeling paint on the frame ;) It was black when I got it and didn't like it so I did a cheapy spray cerakote job until I can send it out over the winter)

I have 2 loads that I really like for it. One is 3.8 of W231, 115 Xtreme plated at 1.160", the other is 4.7 of AutoComp, 115 Xtreme plated at 1.160. Both loads are about the same PF and shoot almost exactly the same. The only thing I changed was the barrel. Still using the same 8 lb recoil spring that I was using for the full Major PF loads through the comped bull barrel.

The slide has a slot for the popple holes that are in the major comped barrel. I might add the same two popple holes to the non-comped bull barrel later on.

Edited by scottlep