Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Snap Cap - Silicone Filler?

SWHlctx

I want to make some 9mm snap caps for practice. I would like to get them close to 147 ammo weight. I saw a post on here some time ago about using some sort of silicone caulk to fill them.

Does anyone know what type of caulk to use or have any other ideas for filler? Thanks.

I use airsoft bb from my son pisto to prevent the bullet from moving back when i run the action.I think I use 2 each in the 9mm with the 124 gr and 3 each with the 40 S&W and 180 gr bullet.

I heard few of the guys I shoot with they use short wooden dowels.

I put red colored hot glue from a glue gun and injected it through the primer hole. After it hardened I shaved it flat with a razor blade. Now I have snap caps that are easy to identify and the hot glue can be hit many times with the firing pin during dry fire. I also put orange nail polish in the jhp so I have two visual indicators. My friend also put a really heavy crimp as well. With the heavy crimp and hot glue the bullet doesn't move. I imaging silicone caulking could do the same thing as the glue but it would dent easily with firing pin strikes. Good luck. Doc

I de-prime and resize, fill primer pocket with any silicone I have already opened. After it's dry I partially fill the case with tumbler media to help reduce the chance of bullet set back from repeated use. (I used a heavy crimp once and it eventually came loose, but I was using plated bullets on those rounds.)

Then seat bullets as normal, extra crimp if you feel the need.