Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun modification

nabeltran

I have a boar hunt here in California end of Aug and just found out that my Mossberg 500 shotgun is illegal to use unless it is "incapable of holding more than three shells or slugs, including one in the chamber." Is there a quick over the counter modification or step I can take to legalize my gun for hunting? It holds 5-6 shells now. Is this a gunsmith problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm new at this.

• 2 weeks later...

The game wardens will be out there before you are.  They write down everything you do, don't even point the gun at a non-season animal, they will get you for attempt to take.  BTW, the good wardens can be less than 20 feet away from you, and you won't even know.

Wild bore hunting in CA.  

I didn't realize there was a 'Feinstein Season'.  How much for an out of state license?  Is a shotgun the largest 'Major' caliber you can use?  As I'm aware the largest mass of said prey would be the 'head'.  I'm sure you fellas are using scoped shotguns to prevent another round of 'Brady' laws right???

Annual non-resident license is $107.90...2-day non-res $30.20, 1-day non-res $14.70.

I'll be using a slug gun with a scope...and aiming for vitals just behind/below shoulder plate. Wouldn't go for the head, especially since I'm planning to keep it.

Boar tag is about $6-7 for 5 tags.  The last time I went boar hunting, wasn't really hunting.  We're at my friend's ranch outside King City.  We literally walked outside in our PJ's and sat by the fence about 50 feet from the house.  The wild boar were about 50 yards out.  There were about 10 of them and didn't even seem to mind that we were at the fence.  They also didn't seem to mind the gun shots since none of them ran away after the first shot.