Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7.62x59mm

rooster24

MY brother owns the gun.

It looks like a mauser.

He had it customize for hunting.

The only thing I can find that's even close to 7.62x59 is the 7.62x57.

I am going to hit him for some shells so I can check the

measurements of it.

I have seen the cases on some.

They do have 30-06 springfield stamp on them.

I do know they are not as long as the 06.

Rooster24:  

What you brother has is a 7.65 Argentine mauser, and what has happened is that somebody has formed 7.65 brass out of 30.06 brass.  7.65 brass has been hard to come by, the last I herd was that Norma was the only company still producing ammo for it.  So alternative ways of "making" brass for it came through forming 30.06 brass into it.

Yes you will need to acquire a set of 7.65 Argentine dies.  RCBS makes them, and I'm sure there are others who do so, Lyman, Lee, and probably Redding.

There is a book called "Cartridges of the World" that will have some vary valuable information on the 7.65 Arg. as well as other obsolete cartridges.

Good Luck

snipersmilie.gif

• 2 weeks later...

You should use .311" projectiles. Load data in Hodgdon. I have found the Sierra 150gr .311" to be the best. It is about the same balistically as the 303Brit as the modern factory ammo is loaded to be safe in the original 1889 rifles. If you rifle is in excellent condition you will easily achieve 308Win (7.62x51Nato) velocities. Most rifles are the 1909Argentine contract made at the German MauserWerk. None were made in Argentina as far as I have seen.

Check out Hodgdons web sight for Data.