Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Question

stalbot

Hello all. Long time lurker. First post. A question that I've had for a while about dry firing, specifically with semiautos. I've done dry fire slowly, cycling the slide after each trigger pull. Are you doing the same thing when you're dry firing stages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all. Long time lurker. First post. A question that I've had for a while about dry firing, specifically with semiautos. I've done dry fire slowly, cycling the slide after each trigger pull. Are you doing the same thing when you're dry firing stages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless I'm specifically practicing trigger control, then I don't bother cycling the slide before every pull. You can learn and improve a lot in dry fire even without the actual trigger break.

Edited by FTDMFR

I practice my trigger break on the vast majority of my drills. At least for the first (or last) shot if im doing simulated strings. Helps me figure out what my sights are doing when i press

don't take this the wrong way but you'll never be fast by training slowly ...The only time you should be dry firing slowly is when you are first trying to learn a new skill. After you've figured out how to do the skill you need to be dry firing at speed. Start by determining what your match speed is for a drill. then set your par timer to .1 secs above that & do 10 reps, then drop by .1 and do 10 more, then drop by another .1 and do 10 more. If you can do those perfectly keep dropping by .1 until you fall apart and record the previous par time as your new baseline for the next dry fire session.

Resetting the trigger every time won't allow you to do anything other then a 1 shot drill. What type of gun are you using?

I reset the trigger. If you can reset the trigger per shot, you will have no problem in live fire where the reset per shot is not needed. If you only have one trigger pull in a 10 shot string, it is also a "one shot" drill...

Sight alignment can be practiced without a single trigger pull. But, I prefer the extra slide racking and trigger pull practice.

For example, if you are at the range and load 3 rounds instead of 10 (or 17 or 33 etc...) per magazine, you will automatically have built in reload practice.