Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

turning an m&p 9 into a 40?

surfr716

I bought an m&p 9 not long ago, and I've been slowly turning it into a limited gun for shooting local uspsa matches. The local matches don't have and requirements for power factor at any level but I've noticed that actual matches require 40 cal or higher to make major. If I wanted to shoot 40 out of my current slide could I have the end opened up to fit the 40s barrels OD and then just change mags? It seems most of the other parts interchange across the 9,40,357 sig sized frame and I've been thinking of getting a storm lake barrel for my gun anyhow. Would I be better served buying a 40 cal barrel and a handful of mags then opening the slide, or would that not really be possible?

I bought an m&p 9 not long ago, and I've been slowly turning it into a limited gun for shooting local uspsa matches. The local matches don't have and requirements for power factor at any level but I've noticed that actual matches require 40 cal or higher to make major. If I wanted to shoot 40 out of my current slide could I have the end opened up to fit the 40s barrels OD and then just change mags? It seems most of the other parts interchange across the 9,40,357 sig sized frame and I've been thinking of getting a storm lake barrel for my gun anyhow. Would I be better served buying a 40 cal barrel and a handful of mags then opening the slide, or would that not really be possible?

The .40 case diameter won't fit the cutout in the breech face. The extractor would also probably be in the wrong place. You would need a .40 top end (slide and barrel) or to have the 9mm slide machined to the .40 specs but that may not be possible.

You could have it machined, but for the cost of that I'd imagine that it would be cheaper to just buy a 5" .40 Pro. I know a website (I think it's GR tactical) sells top ends, but they're close to the price of a brand new pistol anyways