Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup not throwing consistent

Ctbreitwieser

Maybe I need to just get a Dillon SD and be done with it. Feeding an SMG and competetion gun with a single stage sucks anyways.

Thanks everyone for your help. My friend actually has an RCBS measure he doesn't use. Maybe I'll try that out and see if it throws any better then my Hornady.

Or get a LnL AP.

There's nothing wrong with the Hornady PM. I just saw you'd been using the rifle rotor - yeah, that really wasn't intended to drop 3.x grains of powder - I think it's from 10-15grains on up or so (may be off, going from memory). The Uniflow and Hornady PMs are very similar, to the point I really wouldn't expect much difference in performance, and certainly not worse than a Dillon PM. The Hornady PM is a bit cheaper vs the RCBS.

Beyond that, you do have a static problem, although TG is one powder I would highly recommend dumping the PM after use, as it can 'etch' the PM powder tube.

It may be worth cleaning your PM properly to ensure that isn't contributing to your issues once you replace the rifle rotor with a pistol rotor.

Simplest - remove the drum and linkage, and add some Dawn dishwashing soap to some warm water in a sink or bucket. Put all PM parts into it, agitate, let sit a while. Agitate a bit, rinse, repeat once.

Let dry. Re-assemble and manually cycle a few #s of powder through the PM. Rubber-band a dryer sheet to the outside of the PM, and stuff one or two inside whenever emptying the PM.

Done - TG drops should be spot on and better than +/- .1gr.

Does your powder measure have a baffle in it? In my experience with titegroup in a RCBS uniflow the baffle made a big difference in consistency.

Yes it does. My pistol powder rotor came in yesterday but I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. The hole size is much smaller and I really believe this will solve my problem. I'll update once I try it out

• 2 weeks later...

Digging this old one back up with some observations. On the Hornady powder measure there is a special pistol rotor and special pistol micrometer that don't come with the powder measure. I'm guessing you are using the universal micrometer and rotor drum that came with the powder measure, those are both intended for larger powder loads for rifle calibers, they don't work worth a hoot for small pistol loads. If you want to throw small powder charges consistantly, you need the special pistol rotor and micrometer intended for pistol loads, see link below:

http://www.hornady.com/store/Pistol-Rotor-and-Metering-Assy-1-Each/