Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5x284 Build

38superman

I just took my first trip to the range with my new rifle, built by Phoenix Custom.

The specs are:

Bartlein premium stainless barrel with cut 5r rifling 1:8 twist

Rem Sendero contour 26" chambered for 6.5x284 Norma and crowned.

Rem 700 action blueprinted.

Scope mount holes re-cut and aligned at 8-40.

Timney Trigger at 2.5 lbs.

Badger Ordnance rail fitted.

Obendorf bottom metal.

Sniper Grey cerakote.

Action bedded into a McMillan A-5 stock.

I only shot 2 groups because I wasn't happy with the scope alignment so I am going to pull it off and re-mount it.

However, the second group printed 5 shots at .222" at 100 yds.

post-6467-0-93629600-1434205416_thumb.jppost-6467-0-08297100-1434205448_thumb.jp

Yep, I admit it. I'm a southpaw.

All my bolt guns are lefties. I am left eye dominant.

It makes it hard to own anything other than a few manufacturers in a handful of calibers.

If you want anything other than .223, 30-06, 270 or 300 win mag,... you get to know a custom builder.

The 6.5x284 started as a Rem SS 700 sporter in 30-06. Only the action survived.

It was a nice gun, stainless in a grey/black laminate stock, but after a while a 30-06 is just boring.

When I sent it to the gunsmith, my intention was to just have it re-barreled in .25-06 varmint contour.

I got a little carried away.

Edited by 38superman

I have a built Remmy in 25-06, and it is great, but I think you made the right choice going with a 6.5. I bought this rifle used, and it's a great shooter, but I was told that it was a 10 twist. Wouldn't shoot Berger vids worth a hoot, so I called them and they told me to check it, and I found it is a 12 twist. That really limits my bullet choices. the guy I bought it from was a real anal sob, so I don't know how this got missed so bad. Don't get me wrong, it is a shooter, just wish I had more bullet choices.

So what kind of speed are you getting out of it? The accuracy looks great, and I bet it would be a hummer out at 1k.

I also see some shop toys in the background of your pics that I would like to play with. Bet I could really mess some suff up with those!

Edited by shooter steve

Pheonix Custom Rifles build awesome rifles , they have built two for me so far ,

It was the pics from your .308 build that convinced me to go with them.

They don't disappoint.

The rifle turned out great

It shoots so well I am now forced to clean up my technique.

No more blaming the gun or ammo when I have a flyer.

When I do my part it is dead on.

I have a built Remmy in 25-06, and it is great, but I think you made the right choice going with a 6.5. I bought this rifle used, and it's a great shooter, but I was told that it was a 10 twist. Wouldn't shoot Berger vids worth a hoot, so I called them and they told me to check it, and I found it is a 12 twist. That really limits my bullet choices. the guy I bought it from was a real anal sob, so I don't know how this got missed so bad. Don't get me wrong, it is a shooter, just wish I had more bullet choices.

So what kind of speed are you getting out of it? The accuracy looks great, and I bet it would be a hummer out at 1k.

I also see some shop toys in the background of your pics that I would like to play with. Bet I could really mess some suff up with those!

That is the shop at Phoenix Custom. The gunsmith took those pics when he put the gun together.

I've only had it long enough to do one ladder test.

49 grains of H4831 behind a 142 SMK was just under 2750.

Nothing too hot yet. Should be able to get 2900 out of it from what I'm reading.