Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Index finger on bullet for reloading

Okay I have been working my way towards my first USPSA match, live fire and lots and lots of dry fire practice. Just haven't had the time yet to make it out for my first match. Anyway been working a lot on reload drills, specifically drills from Ben Stoeger's books. On most of them I've achieved the "advanced" times and of course most of that comes from gun handling like the draw and especially reloads themselves. On most videos and sources I've found on the web they say that when I pull the magazine out from the pouch to pull it with my index finger on the bullet. Well, I don't have large hands and I've found that it's difficult to consistently grasp the magazine far down enough that I pull out the mag in that position. I can do it for a stretch if I really try to do it but then I revert back to having my index finger about 2/3 way up the mag. How do most of you have your index finger positioned? If I'm achieving (and beating) the times in Stoeger's book for advanced level does it really matter (i.e., do you think it would help me be even faster or more consistent)?

Do whatever you're comfortable with and can be fast on. I cannot put my index finger on the bullet for reloads as it is physically impossible to do so with my mag pouch. The pouch covers the tip of the mags where the bullet would be. But index finger on the front of the mag does work best even if you're 2/3 of the way up. Avoid standing reloads though.

what are your reload times in livefire to a 10 yd target? There are no style points in practical shooting ... if you can do 10 live reloads in a row around 1.2 secs you're good, no matter where you index finger is ....

If your finger won't reach the bullet for indexing, you'll have to find another way, and it sounds like you have. In addition to speed, albeit somewhat intertwined, consistency is critical. No standing reloads and keep your gun near eye level as you insert the new magazine. Keep you movements to a minimum. I also find that setting up your magazines on your belt is important and practicing grabbing each magazine for each reload, 1-2-3 etc, so that it becomes second nature. This way, you will not accidentally reach for an empty pouch, and will not have to look down at them to initiate a reload.

The index finger is just for orientation. If you have your index finger on the front of the mag you'll point it forward naturally when you start to bring the mag up. How far up it is is not important. The only important thing I would consider is that the base is centered in the palm of your hand for a firm seat. And even more important, make the action of the reload bring the magazine up high so the gun must stay high to accept it.

But don't get too hung up on these little details. Fine tuning the reload comes WAAAAAAAY after making it SAFELY through your first few matches.

Welcome, have fun, and get your ass to that first match! You'll be hooked on the fun and friends immediately.