Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Barrels, what are we trying to do

kurtm

In a class, Cooley recommended that you have a practice upper and a match upper --- which I do.  You set them up as identically as possible and as they are named, you use the practice upper to practice (and shoot the shjt out off) and the match upper you only use for matches.

This year I am shooting three majors @ 150 rounds (Area 2, RM3G and Nationals) and 12 or so club-level matches at 100 rounds a piece.  I'm looking at 3x150 + 12x100 = 1650 rounds per year that will be shot at matches with my match upper.  I figure that's about average for the average shooter.

So even if the match barrel goes to pot at 8,000 rounds (which is very unlikely) to me that's at least 5 YEARS worth of shooting.  And heck, after that 5 years you continue to use that upper as the newer practice upper.

... half a decade. That's not so bad is it?

That said, both of my $175 DPMS barrels are sub MOA with hand loaded rounds. 

But if I could afford it get me one of 'dem match barrels.  :D

Coolie is right. Just make sure to take your match gun (or match upper) out with you when you practice to put a few rounds through it as well. No matter how close you can get the setup matched up it will not be exact as to accuracy/point of aim and/or feel. Gas rings, cam pin, bolt body, barrel extention, comp and other parts will not have the same wear on them and you will get where you can feel the difference. Probably your match gun will feel 'tighter' and it will have a different recoil impulse. I have 2 uppers for one gun and another gun as well that I rotate and shoot at matches and practice with. There has been more than once when I will take one of my 'practice' uppers/guns to a match to shoot. I just don't get that up tight about it. We are shooting 3gun not precision rifle! Triggers will feel slightly different as well.

I try to use the same ammo lot and only shoot the same confiquiration before going to a match. I know that doesn't sound like fun to those of you who have multiple guns and choose them like golf clubs right before matches for an advantage.

I think consistancy is vastly more important.

Guy Hawkins