Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternate 1911 Calibers

Sdunsworth

I've always had a 1911 chambered in .45 in the stable. I've had everything from Citadels and Stars to Colts and Springfield Armory's.

Then I got bit by the USPSA bug. I wanted something a little cheaper to shoot than .45 and went the Glock route in 9MM (Gen 4 G34 as my production gun). Wanting to keep the same feel for my carry gun, I picked up a G19. My poor 1911 became a safe queen.

Now I've picked up an STI for Open and am shaking up the stable, so to speak. I'm looking at 9mm 1911s to add to the collection. I've also been considering a .40.

So .... a couple questions:

What are 'decent' and 'reasonably priced' 1911 9mms?

What are the thoughts on .40 vs .45 in 1911?

Springfield makes some very nice 9mm 1911s which I would consider "reasonably priced". I have a 9mm Springfield Loaded Target and it is one of my favorite guns. If you are looking to spend a little less look at the Rock Islands. I have a few buddies that have 9mm RIAs and they love them for the price.

Thanks, scottlep. My current 1911 .45 is a SA RO, so I had considered them. The RIA as well. Looks like I missed a STI Spartan by a couple days that I would've seriously considered as well. That is the price range I've been looking in.

Having shot SSTK for a few years I can say the advantages of 40 or 45 in a 1911 are minor cost savings when reloading and not habing to "barny" your first round- that and its kind of just plain cool.

However, assuming you save $0.05 / round reloading 40 vs 45 it'll take a lot of shooting rounds to save back $$$ for a new gun and mags, but did I mention 40 cal 1911's are cool?

:cheers:

I'm also considering that I'm setup to load .40, but not .45. I know, it's only a couple hundred more dollars to setup for a .45 load (dies, toolhead, powder measure, chamber checker), then work up a new load, stock more / different bullets ...

vs

get another gun that I already have load data, tooling, and rounds to fit ...

^^^

If you already have .40 reloading gear/components/experience and none for the.45 then I think that is your answer if you want a single stack gun that will make major. I believe most of the top finishers at the recent SS nationals used .40 guns.

I've been playing with a 9mm single stack (DW PM9) and really like it as the fun factor and challenge is high. It makes me focus on getting the A's as shooting minor in SS division can be unforgiving if you aren't getting lots of A hits. The DW isn't the cheapest, but it is a solid gun that comes with good quality components - just a little fine tuning to taste, add a magwell and you are good to go.

I've always had a 1911 chambered in .45 in the stable. I've had everything from Citadels and Stars to Colts and Springfield Armory's.

Then I got bit by the USPSA bug. I wanted something a little cheaper to shoot than .45 and went the Glock route in 9MM (Gen 4 G34 as my production gun). Wanting to keep the same feel for my carry gun, I picked up a G19. My poor 1911 became a safe queen.

Now I've picked up an STI for Open and am shaking up the stable, so to speak. I'm looking at 9mm 1911s to add to the collection. I've also been considering a .40.

So .... a couple questions:

What are 'decent' and 'reasonably priced' 1911 9mms?

What are the thoughts on .40 vs .45 in 1911?

STI Trojan used to be the best bang for the buck. I love mine. You can get them in every caliber.

40 vs 45 is a whole nother thread, but I own many 40's and no 45's. Cost of ammo mainly and 45's are not built in many standard platform guns so I never got any.