Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster for STI 2011

sbaker5

I am looking for a holster that has a thumb release or a finger release for a STI 2011 5" full dust cover. I was shooting with several people today and one had a holster with thumb release and one had finger release on the under side of the pistol. I didn't get a chance to ask them the brand. It doesn't need to be that exact configuration but need something with good retention as I shoot a lot of 3 gun. Any suggestion would greatly appreciated.

No it wasn't a serpa. The finger release was on the inside of the holster closest to your hip. From my research it was a safariland but I can't find the right model.

I don't need a holster with retention but I think it would give me much more peace of mind when running around. I don't move as fast as a could because I am always worried about my gun coming out.

Sounds like a GLS, I had one for my G17 and when I went looking for one on the STI discovered they had a "universal" GLS now. I will see if I can find the model number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the "universal" Profit GLS......it fits something like 70 guns.......of which most, if not all, are polymer. All the popular duty guns. The holster is awesome. I really, really like it and have been using it with an HK VP9 for matches for a little while now. The GLS draw is awesome and mindless, basically like using a holster with no retention at all.

A STI will fit in it. However, it will NOT be retained, as the locking lever on the inside is based on the wider trigger guard of polymer guns. The STI trigger guard is too narrow, so the gun can be pulled past the little lever.

I'm using an ALS holster for the Springfield Operator for the STI Edge I just acquired. My buddy put up an useful post here that outlines the minor changes to make it work.

I've used the ALS with other guns, and they are really good. Great retention, lever is easy to use/intuitive with a motion that doesn't counter movement to your draw, and doesn't mess with your grip. Not as fast or ridiculously mindless as the GLS is, but more than quick enough for 3gun. Simple, robust locking to the ejection port that doesn't depend on a hood fitting correctly or getting out of the way.

Edited by AustinWolv

• 1 month later...

I wanted the Profit as well for an STI DVC. I called and they say it won't fit. . .

Check your thread. 2011 fits and it is retained, but it needs some minor mods to make it good-to-go.

The original 578 GLS would not allow a 1911 or 2011 to be retained. They released a newer 578 GLS version that includes a shim you add to the locking body to retain guns with narrower trigger guards, like the 1911.......and 2011, although the aforementioned mods will likely be needed based on your gun.

I'm using the GLS now with a STI Edge, and if something goes wrong, I'll update the thread, but working nicely so far.

The ALS is a great holster if you don't want to go the GLS route. It would be my choice (and was) if the GLS wouldn't work.

Edited by AustinWolv

I ordered the holster from safari land and couldn't make it work. Basically safariland says they have no holster with retention to fit an Sti. I ordered a G-Code but still looking for a holster with retention. I will double check the model your mentioned.

So what gun model do you pick? There isn't an option for an STI for the 578 GLS?

You pick the 578 Pro-fit GLS. It fits something like 170 guns. Read the thread I linked above. I'll link it again for you.

Look at the owner's manual PDF linked in that thread. It lists the STI 1911. The post outlines what I did to make mine work. It is not drop-in fit for a 2011, but if you have 15 minutes, it is easy to modify.

You should make a YouTube vid on this as it would be VERY popular and is needed. As popular as the sti's are there aren't very many holster options, especially retention holsters. I have several STI's and should be getting my 6" from Hayes soon. So I need several holsters pretty quick. I was told the 6390 for the Springfield Operator would work and it won't at all.

You should make a YouTube vid on this as it would be VERY popular and is needed. As popular as the sti's are there aren't very many holster options, especially retention holsters. I have several STI's and should be getting my 6" from Hayes soon. So I need several holsters pretty quick. I was told the 6390 for the Springfield Operator would work and it won't at all.

It is on my to-do list this week........finding time is the problem. :)

You can actually use that same ALS holster discussed in the thread for your 6"........take a heat gun/blow dryer to holster to get it warmed up, stick the gun in, very slightly wiggle it around, and it will open up the bottom for the longer gun will fit, along with "mold" the rest of the holster body better for the STI frame/slide.

Attached is a picture of the exact ALS holster I was using with my 5" Edge.

post-25162-0-25397300-1435796152_thumb.j