Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS bullet puller w/collet makes marking?

tagacali

I'm just checking if anyone out there uses these as well. Somehow mine makes a marking on my bullet heads. It says otherwise on its description. Is there other trick/s not to have markings? I hoping to reuse my heads.

Thanks in advance.

I'm using MG JHP. Kinda bad that I could feel my fingers run through it. I'm worried that it would affect the rifling of my barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would load up a couple dozen of the pulled bullets with the marks and compare them to unmarked bullets for accuracy.

You might be surprised with the results, as typically it is damage to the BASE of bullets that create accuracy issues. (As long as the ogive/nose of the bullet isn't SIGNIFICANTLY distorted).

Anyway, it would be worth a try. I have observed some fairly well marked-up bullets perform extremely well, including rifle bullets.

Cool....I'm more concerned it it will damage the rifling or barrel but if it will not, then I can use it for practice ammo. Thanks again!

I am curious, why do you think it will damage the "rifling or barrel" as you put it? You aren't changing the composition of the bullet and your barrel should be able to handle 10s of thousands of bullets through it (whether lead, coated lead, copper plated lead, copper jacketed, brass jacketed, solid copper, etc.).

My concern could be wrong but I thought that marking around the bullet head when passed along the barrel will affect the rifle. Again, I could be wrong that's why my concerns were clarified. Thanks again for all the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My concern could be wrong but I thought that marking around the bullet head when passed along the barrel will affect the rifle. Again, I could be wrong that's why my concerns were clarified. Thanks again for all the help

It is still the same bullet material heading down the barrel at a high rate of speed, if anything, the bullet is a little less tight where the "mark" rides down the rifling. Bullets have much larger "marks" in the form of cannelures, they have no impact on the barrel.