Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Hi Power

Patrick Sweeney

IMO, if all you want to do is break the gun, what difference does it make whether you shoot major or minor?

Personally I would shoot it Limited. I'm in a similar boat, owning a CZ75SA in 9mm which I want to shoot but for which there is no suitable division.

Andy C.

OK, here's the deal: I've got a Wayne Novak Hi Power on the way. Built on a new-production FN gun (cast frame, beefed-up slide) it is supposed to be more durable than older guns. (Bruce Gray figures the old guns were about 15,000 round guns)

I have a mountain of 9mm ammo. The object of the exercise is to see if I can break the gun. Lots of shooting will be range practice. but I'll be shooting some matches with it.

The question is, since I'm shooting Minor, my un-enviable choices are Limited or Lim-10. Which to shoot? At best, with a CPMi mag extension, I think I can get a mag up to 16-17 rounds. That s*cks compared to a Lim-10 40 shooting Major and 19 rounds but it might not be too bad. At least in Lim-10 I'm not losing capacity.

Which would you choose?

(I tried to make this a poll, but I'm obviously under-caffienated to manage that task.)

Patrick, you can get originaly sized 15 round mags from www.k-mag.co.za With a bit of tweaking you can push 'em to 17 or 18 (with extensions, etc...) They also make 20 odd round mags.....

Put a scope on it and hammer it in Open!!!!

Yes, me too. I bought it through Matt M. for IDPA, and now don't want to keep switching back and forth. I think I'll shoot it in some limited 10. It's too nice a gun not to shoot!

Andy C.

I'm glad you brought this up because I have a CZ75B-SA (single action) that I can't use in production. Like you, I am forced to make a decision if I want to use this pistol in USPSA.  Lim-10 sound like the way to go.

Duane, we all have to play the hand we're dealt. The hand I was dealt is that I have to bust a beautiful piece of machinery in the name of science. I am thinking, however, of glomming onto a surplus Argentine beater to do much the same to. The Argie is not at all likely to have the benefits of FNs upgrades, and will likely expire much sooner. But I may have to wait for the Acme Day Stretcher, to get 27 hours in a day, to do this. They keep telling me it is on back order.

The second step will probably be "Ressurecting the BHP" an article coming soon to a magazine near you.

So far, looking good. One mag was bad, a twenty-rounder with a weak spring. A new Wolff spring took care of that. I think Wayne has it over-sprung, it smokestacked once with a 147 grain commerical reload. As soon as I can modify the SDM recoil spring measure, I'm going to find out what the springs are, and keep track of how they stand up. As of today, the round count is 576.

And that "common knowledge" that the 13-round magazines are only reliable with twelve rounds in them? Someone forgot to tell this gun.

I am thinking, however, of glomming onto a surplus Argentine beater to do much the same to.

You might consider the Arcus-94, the Bulgarian Hi-Power. According to Bruce Gray the metallurgy of the Arcus is on a par with the "real" Hi-Power, and I'm very curious how its beefed-up slide would fare in the long haul versus same.

Oh by the way, your supposition on the recoil spring was correct. Both Cylinder & Slide Shop and Novak's install a heavier-than-standard recoil spring in their Hi-Powers in an attempt to lessen long term battering.

I did a bunch of Ransom rest testing and chrono work yesterday. This is the fastest 9mm barrel I have ever shot. Every load I tested posted velcoities in exzcess of the same ammo in other guns.

The real surprise: Cor-bon 125 grain JHP +P load. A 125 grain bullet, at (are you ready for this?) 1335 fps! Holy cow, a factory gun and ammo combo that makes Major. My wimpiest sub-Minor practice load, a 125 lrn over 3.8 grains of Bullseye, posted a 132PF.

And on a whim, I checked the serial number on a mathematics page, and the serial number is a prime number. That is, divisible only by itself and the integer 1, and no others. So from now on, its name is "Prime."

Dear Professor,

If the objective of this destructive testing period is to achieve the demise of the pistol by round-counting it to death, the division in which you decide to use it is of no consequence. Same round count in a stage for Ltd or L10, just different amount of mag changes...

Have fun while at it!

This is the fastest 9mm barrel I have ever shot. Every load I tested posted velcoities in exzcess of the same ammo in other guns.

Try a Glock 34. With a 5.32" polygonally rifled barrel, it's a velocity freak's wet dream.

The real surprise: Cor-bon 125 grain JHP +P load. A 125 grain bullet, at (are you ready for this?) 1335 fps! Holy cow, a factory gun and ammo combo that makes Major.

My G34 will do it with Winchester 127-gr. SXT +P+. The Cor-Bon, too, no doubt.

"My barrel's faster than your barrel, nyah, nyah, nyah!" :P