Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket barrels - legal for G35 in IDPA?

cledford

I'm interested in using my new G35 for IDPA as well as IPSC. My problem is that I don't totally understand the classes in IDPA or where the stock 35 fits.

My plan is to get a 9mm barrel fitted for IDPA use and buy a couple 17 high-cap mags to go along with it.

I'm just wondering what if any impact installing an aftermarket (cut rifled, fit) barrel to the gun will have on the classification of the gun.

Thanks,

Calvin

My opinions:

Stock 35 fits in SSP and ESP but not CDP. A replacement .40S&W barrel for the G35 does not change the classification if it is no longer than the OEM barrel and has no porting. Unless the barrel's outer profile is oversized and machining of the end of the slide is done then it would be illegal and would result in being a "gamer" when the magical calipers appear.

For the 9mm conversion barrel...

Not Legal for SSP: "A barrel of another caliber that is not offered in the original factory model". If you are shooting a G35, the original caliber is a .40... I would think that it won't be legal except on "open" sessions. I would also think that it "might" classify as a bull barrel as well in which case it isn't legal for IDPA. Some old salts at the IDPA range talked me out of doing the 9mm conversion to my G35 sometime back, saying it costs a lot of money end even then it might not work properly. Now if you purchased a 17 or 34 upper and bought a 9mm ejector you might be in business.

Thought about buying a G35 and doing the 9mm conversion too. Yes, the conversion will go bang, but there are more things than meet the eye that are not 100% kosher on this deal: extrator, ejector etc. I bought a G34 because I was basically cheap and the ammo costs seem to be about 1/3 less. I don't regret my 9mm choice for competition. The G34 might not be the very best for a true defensive handgun, but the Glocks can stay in the drawer or safe and the 12 gauge does better duty at that anyhow.

A 9mm conversion barrel is not legal for any IDPA class. However, it is a good idea for cheap practice. I use a cheap,$69, Federal 9mm barrel in my G35. I load a 125 gr lead bullet to about the same "feel" as my 180 gr plated bullet match load.

I have never had any feed issues with this barrel. I use the same ejector, extractor and bearing that comes in the G35.