Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ75 Recommendation?

johnson184

Been considering getting a VP9 or a G34 MOS, but I realized I was forgetting all about the great things I've heard about the CZ75. I'm really hoping to get some free time this summer to get into competition shooting as my local range hosts 3 Gun, IDPA, and USPSA competitions frequently.

I do have 1 quick question on how the sights are set up. Are they set up as combat sights where you place the target behind the front dot? Or pumpkin on a post like for a Glock? I personally am used to Glocks and the pumpkin on a post view so I'm wondering if I'll need a version with adjustable sights.

Was recommended to buy this CZ 75 for bang for buck as an all around gun or this CZ 75 for a dedicated competition handgun. What are your thoughts? I'm leaning towards the first CZ 75 I linked, but I'm told the Custom CZ 75 rival custom 1911s in trigger pull, accuracy, and quality.

I had a Stock G34 and G19. I ultimately put aftermarket sights on both of them. I have 3 CZs; two with fixed sights. All of them have had the same sight picture to get POI to be POA. For competition, you will want aftermarket sights on, pretty much, anything you buy.

If you have the money, get an SP-01 Shadow Custom from CZ Custom or second hand on this forum.

If you want to keep the cost down, get a Stock SP-01 and read through this post by Kneelingatlas:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191773&hl=

There are a lot of things to consider when it comes to competitive shooting and your choice of guns. USPSA, I would go with the CZ SP-01 Shadow as it is the most completion ready out of the box. You can either buy a stock one or get one already tricked up from Cajun Gun Works, CZ Custom or Automatic Accuracy. It all depends on you budget. IDPA you have to make sure the CZ is legal for the division you want to shoot. 3-Gun you sometimes have to ground your pistol unloaded or on safe. That is harder to do with a CZ than a Glock or even a 1911 style pistol.

Other considerations are the differences in double action/single action triggers vs. striker fired and your experience with both. Make sure you get the chance to shoot all the guns you are considering. You need to know which one is best for you. Got to your local match and see what people are using and ask questions why, how they made their choice, pros and cons...etc.

I personally shoot a CZ and it is much better for USPSA Production than a Glock or any other striker fired gun I have tried. It is legal for IDPA SSP or ESP. I use it some in 3-Gun but it is really heavy and not always great when you are running around with it holstered. I've considered going to a CZ P09 for 3-Gun as it is lighter but hate to spend the money. I love my CZ's! I have an SP-01 and a Tactical Sport. But you need to try before you buy so you make the best choice for you. Good luck!