Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy in a 18" pencil barrel good enough?

2Xalpha

Think I'll build as lightweight as I can. Balance seems to be more important, but one can always add some weights front or back. I'll go with 18" because of the rifle length gas system, I don't think you can get any better than an 18" rifle gas tuned together with an adjustable gas block and lmos system. A little sceptic about rifle gas under 18", might get some problems with reliability.

I've never seen an 18" barrel rifle gas system be a failure root cause.

These widespread gas systems (e.g., rifle length on 18", midlength on 16") have been kicked around and optimized by how many thousands of users?

With great respect and friendship, don't bother with skepticism about them. You would be wasting time and intellectual effort.

You want rifle gas on an 18" barrel? Great. Fuss with profile, rifling style, or something else. The widely used barrels mentioned by members here will work well.

Edited by michael1778

I built my AR with basically the same setup you are looking at a few years ago. It is killer, so much lighter than any other gun I've ever picked up at a 3 Gun match.

Old pictures of it.

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

Ill have to check on the balance point, optic is a major player. I'm thinking about changing out the handguard to something that is 15" long. I often end up placing the barrel on supports and would like to stop that. But the current carbon fiber on is really light.

Support and stability at distance is no problem, I shoot open and run off a bipod for those shots!

In my experience tough offhand shots are more about the shooter than the rifle. They are also way less common for the matches I shoot. It's either fast targets or long shots. That said, when I do my job it's no problem to clear a plate rack at 100 yards off hand.