Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 piercing primers

BASE772

Anyone have their P320 pierce soft primers?

My daughters Carry 320 will pierce the soft Mag-tech primers about 1 in every 10 or so. Won't do it with CCI or Winchester. Haven't tried Federal primers.

They are 9mm minor loads.

The cases in the pic were all the same load, just different primers. Mag-tech on the left and the two CCI on the right.

post-44117-0-68523800-1429452046_thumb.j

Edited by BASE772

I think you're looking at primer issue more than a pistol or load issue. If the piercing was happening more consistently and with other brands of primers I might be inclined to think the striker was out of spec, but since its happening with only one brand and its occurring sporadically I'm thinking Mag Tech might have an issue with some of their primers. The strikes on the other unpierced primers look just fine. Maybe get a hold of Mag Tech and find out if anyone else has experienced similar problems?

I've pierced a few Magtech primers with my P226, but I've never had any problems with Federal 100s (which are generally regarded as the softest primers available) or any other factory load from Geco or Fiocchi. My best guess is that the embossed Magtech logo on the primer surface weakens the metal a bit.

Thanks for the replys.

Could be the quality of the metal in the primer cup too. They are cheap but go bang every time.

I'll just have to wait and see if my full size 9mm 320 does the same thing when it come in. Robert Burke has it now. :)