Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Thumb Safety Question.

Marv Z

Recently the hammer broke on my Pro Custom 18.9. Para sent me a call tag for repair, but I don't want to put another MIM hammer in it. This is going to be my 3Gun pistol and reliability is key. Bought a new Extreme Engineering hammer, sear and disconnector along with a Ed Brown single sided safety. Stripped the gun down and the safety won't rotate in the stripped frame. The groove in the base of the Ed Brown safety is much narrower than the stock Para one. This is with the hammer, sear, everything out of the frame. It looks like it would be a bitch to try to open that groove or modify the frame. Anyone know someone that makes a single sided safety that will fit this beast? I tried a STI safety and will it works in a Black Ops 14.45, it won't work in the 18.9 Must be some variance in the frame thickness on these guns.

Recently the hammer broke on my Pro Custom 18.9. Para sent me a call tag for repair, but I don't want to put another MIM hammer in it. This is going to be my 3Gun pistol and reliability is key. Bought a new Extreme Engineering hammer, sear and disconnector along with a Ed Brown single sided safety. Stripped the gun down and the safety won't rotate in the stripped frame. The groove in the base of the Ed Brown safety is much narrower than the stock Para one. This is with the hammer, sear, everything out of the frame. It looks like it would be a bitch to try to open that groove or modify the frame. Anyone know someone that makes a single sided safety that will fit this beast? I tried a STI safety and will it works in a Black Ops 14.45, it won't work in the 18.9 Must be some variance in the frame thickness on these guns.

Para intentionally makes some of their part dimensions non standard. I noticed it on my 1640 when the guide rod failed, and I tried to fit in a standard one (it didn't fit). I'm not sure why it is some Para parts are not 1911 standard (?)

As for fitting and who makes parts that fit, probably only Para.

Edited by bountyhunter