Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody using longer barrels in 1919 platform?

michael1778

Has anyone actually installed and used a 22" barrel for the Akdal MKA-1919 platform? I see them available as an option form Tooth & Nail. 1919 shotguns are rare enough that I haven't ever seen one using a barrel longer than the common ~20" (19.7" ?). What are your observations and comparisons? Thanks.

I was wondering the same thing. When I was getting my package done by T&N, the 22" barrels were not in and weren't expected anytime soon so I just stuck with the factory barrel and had them put the comp on it.

That comp is a whole other question, but it got me looking at the barrel packages. I was thinking that I could just get a new barrel with the comp in one easy transaction. Then I wondered about length options. Thanks for your reply.

Well I've never used a 1919, but my VEPR-12 is a 22" barrel and my old Saiga-12 that ran the best was a 24" barrel. I think the added back pressure helps.

I had not thought about the mechanics of back pressure compared across barrel lengths. Thank you for that insight.

Unless you really want the longer barrel, consider buying a complete gun for parts. For not a whole lot more money you get a spare barrel plus spare bolt, locking block and carrier.

Hmmm, yeah I don't have any particular desire one way or another on length. I was asking to get some feedback on what the differences might be and if people had recommendations or preferences. Interesting idea on how to get spares. Thanks!

Do you have the T&N aluminum lower on yours?