Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 Load Development

ironbran140

Hi all. First time poster, long time reader here.

I was wondering if anyone had a process they used to develop a good 223 load. I have everything I need to reload .223 (using a Dillon 650, 55gr jacketed bullets along with mixed range brass and Varget). While I know where I should start with regards to OAL and powder charge, I have no idea how to tweak/alter the load for greater accuracy.

Any tips? This would be my first time reloading a rifle cartridge.

Thanks in advance!!!!

I made batches of 10 cartridges for each powder charge starting at my selected starting charge and increasing by .2gr up to the book maximum for 223. Then I did the same exact thing but applied a little crimp using the Lee FCD. That gave me 2 batches of 10 rounds for each weight, one crimped and one not.

I used the same headstamp for all of them

and made sure that they were all trimmed to the same length. I also weighed every charge and bullet. Weighing each bullet probably isn't necessary but I wasn't in any hurry and just wanted to take all possible variations out of the equation.

I shot them all from a rest at 100 yards being careful to let the barrel cool between batches.

When I found my sweet spot I worked up 30 more cartridges. 10 identical to the best performing of the previous test, 10 .1gr less, and 10 .1gr more and went back to the range. The tightest of those three groups become my go-to load.

After all of that I was comfortable that I had found the best possible load for my gun and just started cranking them out. It's a lot of work but I'm anal like that and enjoy the process itself.

It's definitely something that you would want to do on a single stage press though. You could then set up the progressive to duplicate the results after all the testing is done.

Great to hear from your. There are several factors that are going to come into play when determining the accuracy of your rifle, load and you as a shooter. Ultimately, you are going to test all of these together. I would ask you to consider what is required and realistic or expectation management. I am skeptical of all these "1/2 MOA all day long with any ammo etc." rifles, I have been shooting a long time with all kinds of custom ARs with high end barrels and I just don't see it, realistically, 1 MOA 10 shot groups are at the small end of what I would consider a reasonable expectation for a 3G AR-15 rifle. I also have to assume you are shooting an AR and that your 55's are FMJs as you don't way what you are shooting. If you are talking a cooper factory .223 or a .223 BR rifle (not sure why) then this is another matter. I would say that 1.5-2 MOA is about as good as your going to get with 55 FMJ ball bullets, SOME will shoot better, but this is a realistic expectation, if you try for 1/4 MOA groups you will just wear your barrel out. Also consider your optic, if its a low power scope or irons adjust accordingly.

As far as OAL goes, make sure the ammo fits in your magazines with a little room to spare. With 55 FMJ, the canalure will tell you when you are deep enough.

Make sure your cases are all sized enough and you don't have any issues with fit.

Function of the rifle is paramount along with safety.

Tim all brass to the same length, it will help with accuracy and if you crimp it will be important.

With Varget and 55g bullets, you almost cant get too much in the case, you will run out of room before the book max load.

Since this is your first rifle load you will want to load an Start with the starting charge and go up from there. You can shoot groups with powder charges in .2-.5 increments or try the ladder method. Stop when primers are flat or you get the velocity you want/ need. Adjusting your powder charges will only help so much. If you don't get the groups you want or need consider a different, bullet or powder. If we are talking 55 FMJ; Hornady and sierra bullets are good and shoot better then most others.

Both great replies! Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for!

I'd be perfectly happy with 2moa, given my skill and the types of bullet heads I got (the cheapest I could manage to find, from Everglades ammo).

Thanks a bunch!

Great advice listed above. Have you used varget in your Dillon powder drop yet? I know some say they have had good luck on powder charge accuracy but I haven't on extruded powder.

Unfortunately not. I've heard contradicting stories about extruded powders and the powder drop as well. Kind of curious to see how it'll do. Even if the charge may occasionally be off by .1 give or take, will it make THAT much of a difference in accuracy? I have no hopes of reaching competitive precision shooting levels of accuracy. I just wanna be able to smack a 4inch plate out at 200yd if the stage requires....