Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Range load

gpo1956

I recently traded for a Ross Carter single stack .40 (outstnding gun by the way!). I've loaded 45 ACP and the various revolver rds for 20+ years, but am totally in the dark on the 40 S&W. I can by good quality cast bullets locally in 155 swc, 175swc and 180 flat point. I have a good supply of VV310,WST and 231. I'll not be shooting in any kind of competition and I'm not concerned with any power factors. I'm just looking for a good range load that is accurate and economical. Also, I have Metalform 10mm mags, so I can long longer if needed. Also, what recoil spring weight do you recommend with the load? the published data I've seen all say 19-20 lbs. But after reading here, it seems most of you are shooting 11-14 lbs. Thanks for any info you can give me.

gpo,

I shoot mostly lead or coated lead(master blaster type) bullets in 175 SWC, 180 FP and 200 FP. I have used all the powders you listed with the exception of the VV310 which I think is too fast for .40. I am very happy with WST with the above listed lead bullets. WST is a low density powder so it fills the case fuller to give better, more consistent burns. WST gives me very good (consistent) chrono numbers and it burns cleaner than many of the other powders that I've tried.

As far as springs go, I use a 15lb recoil spring and a 17lb mainspring which seem to be working pretty good for me right now.

Guest Larry Cazes

I load WST and 180 gr Plated bullets in .40SW and WST and 200 gr plated RN bullets in .45acp. Very clean and soft for both with excellent accuracy. No reservations suggesting it!

• 6 months later...
I recently traded for a Ross Carter single stack .40 (outstnding gun by the way!). I've loaded 45 ACP and the various revolver rds for 20+ years, but am totally in the dark on the 40 S&W. I can by good quality cast bullets locally in 155 swc, 175swc and 180 flat point. I have a good supply of VV310,WST and 231. I'll not be shooting in any kind of competition and I'm not concerned with any power factors. I'm just looking for a good range load that is accurate and economical. Also, I have Metalform 10mm mags, so I can long longer if needed. Also, what recoil spring weight do you recommend with the load? the published data I've seen all say 19-20 lbs. But after reading here, it seems most of you are shooting 11-14 lbs. Thanks for any info you can give me.

I have used 3.4 to 3.6 gr. of WST with the Federal primers and 155 to 180gr lead bullets with outstanding accuracy from a S&W646 or Para16-40 with a 15lb spring. These are real mild loads but do knock down steel plates albeit slowly.

Tony