Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which of my guns to start idpa?

joelh

I shot a little bit of idpa several years ago and would like to get back into it. I own a couple of guns that will work and would like to concentrate on one.

I have a bone stock Kimber custom II .45. Love the gun but the sights aren't easy to pic up. I have a xdm .40 3.8. Bone stock but have 5 mags. I also have a s&w .38 4 inch barrel that I inherited from my dad, I am not a great shot with the revolver.

I am a lefty and like the ergos of the xdm.

If I progress in idps, I think I would like to try usdpa. Can any of these transition?

Sounds like you made the choice for yourself. Go with the XDM for now. Get a little experience and check out what others are using and I would think you will feel OK with the XDM. If you reload good. If not. check into that. Practice with what you have and maybe get some instruction to help you improve. The XDM is usable for USPSA but a longer barrel/sight radius might be better for you. Save some $$$ also. You might get the urge to have some work done on the Kimber....better sights and etc. and try your hand at CDP and you can use it for SS in USPSA. Right now you have your future ahead of you in IDPA and USPSA don't spend a lot of money too quickly....go slow there.

JMHO

Richard

I'd start shooting the 1911 now, and then you can prove to yourself the value of the new sights when you get them installed and you see the improvement under the clock. Meanwhile, you start getting used to the manual of arms under the clock, and it's a good gun for IDPA and USPSA.

Thanks for the advise. I am going to shoot a local this weekend and I think I will shoot CCP with the xd. I did order Dawson sights for the kimber, so will probably gravitate to it.

I do reload, so I can customize ammo for both guns

I'd consider adding Dawson F/O front and Adj. Rear along with a PR drop-in trigger to your XDM 3.8. It will make it MUCH easier to shoot accurately. Download your .40's to 130 PF and you probably wont want to spend any money on the Kimber for a while at least. And...the XDM will run :bow:

JD