Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Welds and PVD Finishes

MikeRush

If a frame gets welded up it usually leaves a visible blemish after hard chrome or bluing. I am not sure if this is due to discoloration of the HAZ or differences in the alloy of the filler metal- I'm assuming the closer the alloy of the filler is to the base the better.

Does the same hold true for PVD finishes? I know assuming good metal prep Cerakote will hide but haven't been able to find anything on PVD.

PVD is physical vapor deposition. There are several variants- IonBond is one producing a Diamond Like Carbon finish.

Good to know on the welds. My local smith said if he did it the weld would almost definitely show after chrome/blue. Maybe he uses a different rod? I'll ask around.

The welded area will generally be harder than the base metal. If the metal is prepped correctly welds can be hidden. The most common error is when the metal is media blasted, the weld being harder won't match the surface texture of the rest of the metal. Welded areas need more attention when being prepped. PVD finishes will hide welds easier than say hard chrome.

Rich

The welded area will generally be harder than the base metal. If the metal is prepped correctly welds can be hidden. The most common error is when the metal is media blasted, the weld being harder won't match the surface texture of the rest of the metal. Welded areas need more attention when being prepped. PVD finishes will hide welds easier than say hard chrome.

Rich

Thank you, that is good to know- I have two frames, and on one I can't help it, the other is optional- I will try the one that needs to be welded first.