Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Uniflow drum for .223 and .308?

gargodude

I've been reloading 9mm thru .357 mag. handgun rounds with my RCBS Uniflow powder measure using the small drum and a Micrometer adjustment screw and like it just fine. I am now setting up for reloading .223 and .308 rifle rounds. I bought another Uniflow for the bench (the other lives on my progressive press) and only have the larger size drum with it. If I were only doing .223, I would buy another small drum and Micrometer adjustment screw, but I don't think the small drum will hold enough powder for .308. I understand with this type of powder measure, it is best to use the smaller drum to keep the charges more consistent with smaller loads (at least it's true for small handgun loads). I would rather not have to swap the Uniflow hardware when switching back and forth (or buy them), but if I will get better results, then so be it. Anybody do both .223 & .308 with the large drum? If so, how consistent is it for the .223?

I don't think that there will be a difference provided you can fit enough powder in the drum. I think that you can use the small drum and get 42g of powder in it but i cant remember. As far as consistency for .223 large vs small, i don't think you will see a difference especially with ball powder or small grain stick powder.

Whats the upper limit on powder in the small drum?

Myself, Id just use the large for rifle, the small for pistol. Buy an extra metering insert for each caliber to avoid having to make major adjustments when switching calibers.