Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me decide on a bolt action rifle

joshxdm9

Speaking to the issue of bolt guns in general, the Remington 700 short action is the most popular receiver if you want to customize down the road. That receiver can be the basis of a whole host of non-magnum caliber rifles. The Savage 10 is also popular for the same reason but the options tend to be more limited.

As to caliber, most .223 bolt guns have too slow a twist rate for the longer more accurate bullets. The Rem 700 Varmint in .223 has a 1:12 twist which is good for the light higher speed bullets, but it's too slow for the more accurate long range bullets like the 69gr SMK. And if you are trying to reach 500yd, you are going to need that kind of bullet.

If you load your own and want to go mid to long range, then the .308 is a better choice and the .260 or 6.5 is an even better choice. The price goes up with these but you can't go long range very cheaply.

If you have an AR15 already, then you might want to consider building a long range upper for it. I shot 600yd with nothing fancier than an 18" DPMS heavy contour barrel and 69gr bullets and was able to keep the hits down to about 9" groups with some wind.

Well after much research and help from here I have settled on the remington 700 sps tactical. Comes with hogue over molded grip and 20" bull barrel. Should be here this weekend will get scope and bipod mounted and take to the range to zero at 100 yard's if the weather here will cooperate. Thanks for all the advise!!

Congrat good choice josh.

Just take your time before you shot it and do a good cleaning of the rifle in general and the bore check the action fit and torque the action bolts.

Then if it was me I would break in the barrel if you know what I mean, or if you like take few minutes and look at Kreiger barrel web page it have good information for break in the barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

Weatherby Vanguard,guaranteed under an inch. I have the range special and it shoots 1/2 inch with Freedom 62gr re-manufactured ammunition!!! I also have Savage Weather Warrior 22-250 and shoots almost as good with PPU ammunition, can't go wrong with either one!

Edited by wsmitty01