Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me decide on a bolt action rifle

joshxdm9

Well I am looking to buy a bolt action rifle in .223 and know nothing about them at all. Been doing some research and have narrowed down to 3 rifles.

Remington 700

Ruger American

Savage Axis

Not looking to spend a lot of money to start but want to buy a rifle that I can build and improve over time. Looks like from my research that the Remington 700 has the most options availible to build off of. I already have a burris 3-9x scope and looking for .223 because I already reload it For my AR. Any input would be appreciated.

What's the intended purpose of said rifle?

Well for right now just to do some shooting at my club and at a friends house who has a range on his farm out to 500 yards. Not looking to compete long range at this time but eventually may want to. just enjoy developing loads and want to do some long range group shooting.

If that's your price range, there aren't really any rifles to get too excited about. But the 700 is undoubtedly the winner because of its aftermarket. The other rifles are evolutionary dead ends, but you can spend a small fortune making the 700 anything you want it to be.

what is your budget?

Well was trying to stay around 500

It's going to be a trial thing for me to see if I really enjoy slowing down and making precise shots. I shoot 3gun USPSA and steel now and just want to give some longer range precision shooting a try without spending a lot of my other shooting sports funds:)

You can get a Savage Model 10P for just a little more than that. It is head and shoulders above the Axis. It has the accu-trigger which is a far better factory trigger than what you get with the 700.

If you want to shoot and not have a platform to build something off of later, I would do the 10P. The only drawback to the 10P is it is a 1/9 twist. I would prefer 1/8 or even 1/7, but if you are loading you should be able to minimize probs.

I've never shot a Ruger American, but I own two Vanguard S2 rifles, have done load development with my dad's Remington 700, and own a Savage Hog Hunter. To me, the Vanguard is the best in that price range for ergonomics and accuracy. The Remington 700 was accurate, but the ergonomics SUCK. The Savage is ok. I won it in a varmint drawing, I don't think I ever would have bought one. You can get the Vanguard on Buds for $493.

Go with the R700. Almost every gunsmith in the country knows how to work on them, the aftermarket is insane, almost AR-ish in variations. Being your on a tight budget I'd also consider the used market which is also massive for the R700. Sure people make stuff for the others but you can typically get R700 stuff second hand pretty cheap. Heck even Magpul is making chassis and mag systems for the R700 now. It's the clear winner.

Actually, if your budget is tight and you already have a decent AR, I'd run that instead of a bolt action out to 500 any day.

Thought about that but ar is set up for 3gun with red dot for tac iron and didn't want to keep switching optics.

Fair enough. How about an upper for your AR? I agree the Accu-trigger is miles ahead of the 700 trigger but I'd still go for the 700+trigger if I needed a bolt action, and if your shooting for groups a trigger is a necessity. For that cost it's possible you could have a nice long range upper, especially if your lower has a trigger you really like.

What's the intended purpose of said rifle?

Well for right now just to do some shooting at my club and at a friends house who has a range on his farm out to 500 yards. Not looking to compete long range at this time but eventually may want to. just enjoy developing loads and want to do some long range group shooting.

If you just want to do some shooting out to 500 for pure fun, you are on the right track. However, if you really think you might try your hand at competition, the .223 is not the way to go for Precision Rifle type matches. Go with the Rem 700 but consider a different caliber. I'm not sure what is available from Remington but a .260 or even a .243 would get you shooting at 500 and still be suitable for long range competition later. If you get into the sniper matches, you will eventually upgrade the rifle but with the right caliber choice, you can ease into it. Put your money in glass and load development.

I appreciate all the advice. I think I am leaning toward the Remington 700.

Next question sps with 24" tapered barrel OR SPF tactical 20" bull barrel??

Guess my thought was longer the barrel better accuracy at longer ranges??

From my understanding, the barrel length nets you projectile speed not accuracy. Some may consider a flatter trajectory or less wind disturbance as 'accuracy', but they aren't.

There have been reasonable claims that shorter barrels can be more accurate than longer ones because of barrel vibration harmonics and the like. But the bullets will be slightly slower.

Accuracy from longer barrels is a left over from days gone by, when we had open sights. Longer sight radius meant better accuracy, but that is no longer the case wih modern optics. That theory simply needs to die. Michael is right, you will get a little more speed out of length, but for 500 yds, you shouldn't have much of a problem. If you want to shoot, stick a 20" JP on that 3gun ar and light'em up! Also 38superman is correct about calipers. If you decide to shoot matches, you will have to start over with a new rifle. 243 would be a great out of the box caliber as well as 260 or 6.5cm.

Last year I got a Rem SPS in 308, my 1st try at LR shooting. Figured 308 is easy to find ammo for, easy to load for, great to learn LR shooting with, etc. couldn't find any reason not to go that route. The gun has had 3 things done (besides a scope, Vortex 5-20 Razor);

1. a decent trigger. By far the most positive results were gained by a decent trigger.

2. I also put it in a JP chassis, great chassis!

3.I had the barrel threaded and installed a comp, maybe a suppressor someday...

With the right load and bullet (presently using a Sierra 155gn Palma) and Varget, I get 3/4 to 1/2 moa out to 1k yards, haven't tried further. It shoots better than I can.

I would do it again...

imho the best start in LR shooting...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Last year I got a Rem SPS in 308, my 1st try at LR shooting. Figured 308 is easy to find ammo for, easy to load for, great to learn LR shooting with, etc. couldn't find any reason not to go that route. The gun has had 3 things done (besides a scope, Vortex 5-20 Razor);

1. a decent trigger. By far the most positive results were gained by a decent trigger.

With the right load and bullet (presently using a Sierra 155gn Palma) and Varget, I get 3/4 to 1/2 moa out to 1k yards, haven't tried further. It shoots better than I can.

I would do it again...

jj

That's encouraging. . I wish I loaded 308 I would go that route. Some day but not right now. Who did you have thread your barrel? I would like to have that done for either a break or suppressor.

I would do it again...

jj

That's encouraging. . I wish I loaded 308 I would go that route. Some day but not right now. Who did you have thread your barrel? I would like to have that done for either a break or suppressor.
A local gunsmith. Any gunsmith that does rifles should be able to do it with a lathe.

Loading 308 is easy, just a bigger 223. And buying 308 precision ammo should not break the bank either, to get started shooting.

The other thing about the 700 SPS is, when you are ready to go to one of the exotic calibers, the 700 short action with the 308 bolt will do a lot of them that are based off the 308 case. just change out the barrel with a new chamber when you are ready...

jj

What loader are you using? I just bought a single stage for the bolt gun ammo, cheap and easy. I load 308 and 223 on a 1050 for 3gunnin.

Edited by RiggerJJ

I would do it again...

jj

A local gunsmith. Any gunsmith that does rifles should be able to do it with a lathe.

Loading 308 is easy, just a bigger 223. And buying 308 precision ammo should not break the bank either, to get started shooting.

The other thing about the 700 SPS is, when you are ready to go to one of the exotic callers, the 700 short action with the 308 bolt will do a lot of them that are based off the 308 case. just change out the barrel with a new chamber when you are ready...

jj

What loader are you using? I just bought a single stage for the bolt gun ammo, cheap and easy. I load 308 and 223 on a 1050 for 3gunnin.

I load my .223 on a dillon rl450 And have a rl550 with 2 separate complete tool heads for 9mm and .40

just feel like I have enough irons in the fire keeping up with powder primers and bullets for other shooting sports to add another one right now.