Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon trimmer vaccum attachment

The OEM Dillon trimmer attachment takes up so much space, I can't get dies next to it... So, I've just been duct taping the vacuum hose onto the trimmer so I can get dies in the stations next to the trimmer. Any ideas/mods etc?

You really can't use dies in the stations beside the trim die/trimmer station.

The OEM Dillon trimmer attachment takes up so much space, I can't get dies next to it... So, I've just been duct taping the vacuum hose onto the trimmer so I can get dies in the stations next to the trimmer. Any ideas/mods etc?

^^^ this...unless you make or jury rig your own vacuum head.

Thanks!

Here you go:

http://www.gsiinternational.com/300-Blackout-650-Toolhead_8_4243_8649.html

You can use it with any trim die.

Edited by tray999

Thanks!

Here you go:

http://www.gsiinternational.com/300-Blackout-650-Toolhead_8_4243_8649.html

You can use it with any trim die.

I have two of those heads, you can't fit any dies in the stations beside the trimmer on those either, and your flexibility is further restricted as you can only use the trimmer on station #4. But they work great for 300BLK due to the short case.

That depends on the die. This one fits. For some applications I take off the primer magazine and move the trimmer to #5, leaving 3 stations available after the trimmer.

VA2H5613.jpg

That depends on the die. This one fits. For some applications I take off the primer magazine and move the trimmer to #5, leaving 3 stations available after the trimmer.

VA2H5613.jpg

What die do you have in station following the trimmer? Never seen such a short die.

Nice use of a Staedtler eraser. :goof:

What die do you have in station following the trimmer? Never seen such a short die.

Redding small base body die (with the top cut off), then a Sinclair floating carbide expander.

Redding small base body die (with the top cut off), then a Sinclair floating carbide expander.

So, it is a small base die (I presume just to size further down to the base?) which was modified to fit in the station beside the vac attachment? I like the execution of the idea but it doesn't really negate my comment in post #3 above.

The reason I posted this question is that I set up a 650 toolhead to process .223 range brass in one pass. No, not loading on the same toolhead. It's currently set up like this:

IMG_20150213_151420840.jpg

1. F/L Neck sizer/decapper – this centers the decapper better than some universal decappers and prevents some problems. Also starts the sizing process so it’s not all done in the next dies
  2. Small body sizer and GS Custom Swagger – If we’re sizing range brass I think it is important to full body size since we don't know how many times it's been shot. Good for some of my brass too.
  3. Trimmer - I probably need to turn the trim die 90 degrees and I might be able to put the lock ring on the underside.
  4. Sinclair expander with .224 insert (not “oversized” insert) – This serves two functions, 1) it makes the inside diameter of the necks the same size, regardless of the brass so neck tension is hopefully consistent 2) if there is any burr on the inside of the neck from the trimmer, hopefully it will knock it off.

So far, I've processed about 2000 pieces of brass with this set up. I can process about 1000 pieces in 90 minutes.

I clean the brass first, then anneal in a Giraud annealer, then lube and throw them in the Dillon casefeeder and run them through this set up. I then clean the lube off in a stainless steel pin tumbler which also cleans the primer pockets and helps with any burrs from trimming.

Given this set up, I wonder if the GSI toolhead might just work. Thank you for the ideas, any others are appreciated! Thanks roxfo and tray.

Edited by Montana3gunner

I don't think that GSI tool head will work if your trimming .223 vs trimming 300blackout. Since the tool head is designed to trim a 223 case into a 300 blackout, the die actually sits lower and thus the vacuum tube will be in the center of the die to suck the chips out. But when using a standard .223 trim die, the die sits higher and thus the vacuum tube will not be in position to suck anything.

JMHO.