Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL 650 Caliber

This pertains to rifle brass only...pistol loading is much easier...

If you are going to prep the brass on the 650 (which I highly advise) you will need;

another 650 toolhead for prep

a Dillon trimmer, 1200 or 1500

a universal decap die for the loading head

and a primer pocket swager - Dillon Super Swage 600

the process goes something like this;

tumble the brass clean

CASE LUBE IS MANDATORY! don't try to size rifle brass without it, it will stick in the die!

run thru the processing head with 2 dies;

1st die is full length size and decaper, decaps and sizes the brass to almost fitting a case gauge, but not quite

2nd die is trimmer which is also a size die. set the die to finish the size to gauge, and trims to 1.250

when setting up this head, keep both dies populated for consistency

then tumble to remove case lube, and

swage primer pockets with SS600 (if military brass)

then install the loading head;

1st die is universal decapper to remove tumbling media from primer pocket and flash hole

load as normal

jj

what is (if military brass)?

Thanks

As long as you're buying Uniquetek stuff; I would add the Spent Primer Chute for the 650 (Great Upgrade). The Uniquetek Dillon Die Wrench is great too. I bought my die wrench off of eBay before the guy was selling them through Uniquetek... awesome wrench to replace the crappy Dillon wrench.

Military Brass is probably referring to brass with crimped primer pockets. This brass must be swaged. I use a Dillon Super Swage to manage crimped primer pockets.

Edited by razorfish

This pertains to rifle brass only...pistol loading is much easier...

If you are going to prep the brass on the 650 (which I highly advise) you will need;

another 650 toolhead for prep

a Dillon trimmer, 1200 or 1500

a universal decap die for the loading head

and a primer pocket swager - Dillon Super Swage 600

the process goes something like this;

tumble the brass clean

CASE LUBE IS MANDATORY! don't try to size rifle brass without it, it will stick in the die!

run thru the processing head with 2 dies;

1st die is full length size and decaper, decaps and sizes the brass to almost fitting a case gauge, but not quite

2nd die is trimmer which is also a size die. set the die to finish the size to gauge, and trims to 1.750

when setting up this head, keep both dies populated for consistency

then tumble to remove case lube, and

swage primer pockets with SS600 (if military brass)

then install the loading head;

1st die is universal decapper to remove tumbling media from primer pocket and flash hole

load as normal

jj

what is (if military brass)?

Thanks

Military brass has swaged primers. It will have a NATO Mark on most of it, a tiny plus mark inside a small circle. Federal brass will also have swaged primers but no NATO mark. You can see the swaging on the primer pocket just around the primer, and you won't be able to seat a primer in it very well without swaging this out. 9mm and 45 cal pistol brass may have swaged primers as well.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

As long as you're buying Uniquetek stuff; I would add the Spent Primer Chute for the 650 (Great Upgrade). The Uniquetek Dillon Die Wrench is great too. I bought my die wrench off of eBay before the guy was selling them through Uniquetek... awesome wrench to replace the crappy Dillon wrench.

Military Brass is probably referring to brass with crimped primer pockets. This brass must be swaged. I use a Dillon Super Swage to manage crimped primer pockets.

Yes the Spent Primer Chute Is on List 3 What I'm learning is with Dillon and reloading there is no such thing as one list. LOL

InLine Fabrication Skylight LED Press light system

Dillon XL 650 Spent Primer Upgrade

Dillon XL 650 Missed LIVE Primer Chute Upgrade

Uniquetek Dillon Die Wrench

If needed Shellplate Bearing Kit for Dillon XL 650 Press

Think about this down the road Double-Alpha Academy Mr Bulletfeeder

Already Have Speer Reloading Manual #14

Already Have Lyman 49Th Edition Reloading Handbook

Thank again for all the input.

I can't wrap my head around why I would need a Live Primer catcher. Truth is stopping the flow of primers on a 650 is incredibly easy and an empty 40S&W case catches them just fine. I haven't "lost" a primer or needed a primer "caught" in the last 50 thousand rounds loaded.

Keep in mind that the Dillon Press Cover won't fit if you add a bullet feeder :)

As mentioned, you'll definitely want a chronograph.

Edited by razorfish

17 Frankfort Arsenal Vibra Primer Tube Filler

Although everyone's experience and preference varies, I would like to add a comment about the Vibra Primer.

I have 4 sets each of SP and LP Dillon primer tubes primer pick up tubes.

When I started using the Vibra Prime, there is a learning curve of how to hold it, tilt it, unjam etc.

Won't go into details, there are other threads that do that.

I added the Dillon primer feed attachment to my Vibra Prime tube and load directly into the Dillon primer feed tube.

I have not touched my Dillon pickup tunbes since I started this practice.

Like I said, your experience and preference may vary.

But this is just one small step on the journey you are about to take. :D

17 Frankfort Arsenal Vibra Primer Tube Filler

Although everyone's experience and preference varies, I would like to add a comment about the Vibra Primer.

I have 4 sets each of SP and LP Dillon primer tubes primer pick up tubes.

When I started using the Vibra Prime, there is a learning curve of how to hold it, tilt it, unjam etc.

Won't go into details, there are other threads that do that.

I added the Dillon primer feed attachment to my Vibra Prime tube and load directly into the Dillon primer feed tube.

I have not touched my Dillon pickup tunbes since I started this practice.

Like I said, your experience and preference may vary.

But this is just one small step on the journey you are about to take. :D

Thanks for the tip I'm open to all tips and info. that will help.